Fungus on clowns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have what appears to be a similar problem as zenn.

When I purchased the 2 clowns the larger one had what appeared to be a scab on his chin. I was told it was from "fighting for food" and nothing to worry about.
It eventually flaked off but is now growing back. And, the smaller clown has the same type spots now as well in several areas.

I'm pretty sure it's not ich but don't know if I should qt or not. They eat, breathe and swim just fine. They are the only fish in the tank right now.

I would appreciate any help...

TIA
Steve

Attachments

• sickclowns.jpg
    sickclowns.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 53
Commonly it will not be fungus. True fungal (gram possitive) infection in marine systems are extremely rare. A higher possibility is it is a re-occuring bacterial infection. Maintaining higher than normal water parameters and daily soaked vitamin foods will usually do the trick. Especially in mild cases like what yours seem to have.

If it doesn't heal in the next few weeks doing the above (water changes/feeding), you may need to QT and treat with a gram negative antibiotic.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=45

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the help and link Steve.

I went to Petco and the lfs (those are the only 2 choices within an hour of here) to look for some vitamins (looking for Selcon or Zoecon). Neither had any but Petco gave me some samples of "Hikari Marine -S-". They said it was "premium" fish food food.
He also suggested brine with Spirulina. I know frozen brine is garbage so I probably wasted my money on it but wasn't sure about the Spirulina. Should I use that food or is it no better than normal brine? What about the Marine S?
Should I just order some Selcon on-line or is there some other way to feed vitamin's?

Also, this is just a "what if" question. If I had other fish in the tank would they be able to "catch" this? Do I need to wait a while before adding any fish? I don't even have any in QT at the moment so it would be min 1 month probably but I'm just curious.

Many thanks again,
Steve

havefun said:
I know frozen brine is garbage so I probably wasted my money on it but wasn't sure about the Spirulina. Should I use that food or is it no better than normal brine? What about the Marine S?
Should I just order some Selcon on-line or is there some other way to feed vitamin's?
Of the two I would choose the brine. Pellet foods are actually not very good and loaded with phosphorus. They offer some meat protein but not much more. The gut loaded brine will offer fatty acids both plant and animal as well as protein so they will be a decent food source. Contrary to popular belief, not all brine is bad. It's simpley a matter of what grade culture was used and how they are fed (gut loaded) before harvesting. Live brine gut loaded with phyto just prior to feeding are quite nutritous respectively.

I would still suggest getting one of the two vitamins you mentioned. They do a world of good when used appropriately.

Also, this is just a "what if" question. If I had other fish in the tank would they be able to "catch" this? Do I need to wait a while before adding any fish? I don't even have any in QT at the moment so it would be min 1 month probably but I'm just curious.
If the underlying causes creating the problem in the first place (DOC) are dealt with it is highly unlikely any other fish in the tank will be afflicted. I would wait until the current fish is back to full health before introducing any new species. Stress is a big factor in healing, especially when relying moreso on it's own immune response when there is a low requirement for treatment. The less stress, highest water quality and a fortified (varied) diet are the best defense in mild cases.

Once the fish is showing improvement and the need for the QT has been eliminated (no need for antibiotics), then there's no reason not to QT the next fish desired. It will be there for 4 weeks to come so the clowns should be doing fine by then.

Cheers
Steve

Of the two I would choose the brine. Pellet foods are actually not very good and loaded with phosphorus.

Sure, just when I thought I "knew" something.. :roll:

So looking at the "Guaranteed Analysis" really doesn't tell you much then?

--------------Protein--fat--fiber--moisture
Marine S------48%---8%--4%---10%
Brine (w/sp.)-4.5%--.4%-.5%---94%

Being a newbie I looked at those numbers and figured the pellet was way more "nutritious".

I'm going to look for the vitamins on-line. So of these 3 which would you choose...

A) Zoecon
B) Vita-Chem
C) Selcon

TIA
Steve

havefun said:
Of the two I would choose the brine. Pellet foods are actually not very good and loaded with phosphorus.

Sure, just when I thought I "knew" something.. :roll:

So looking at the "Guaranteed Analysis" really doesn't tell you much then?

--------------Protein--fat--fiber--moisture
Marine S------48%---8%--4%---10%
Brine (w/sp.)-4.5%--.4%-.5%---94%

Being a newbie I looked at those numbers and figured the pellet was way more "nutritious".
No worries, protein alone does not imply a good product. Fatty acids and escential vitamin content are also a concern. The brine numbers sounds like SFB?

I'm going to look for the vitamins on-line. So of these 3 which would you choose...

A) Zoecon
B) Vita-Chem
C) Selcon
Either of the "con's" will do. Personally I prefer Selcon though.

Cheers
Steve

WOW....I think you're right. Your clowns have what mine have. I'm getting frustrated with treating the problem. The main reason is because it's been so difficult to figure out what's wrong with them....so i don't know how to fix the problem. I think my clowns are showing improvement though. I've been wondering how much longer i should leave them in qt, becasue i don't know if i should wait till all the spots are gone and they appear to be completely curred. But I think i'm just going to wait till that happens. I originally was thinking about re-introducing them after 4 weeks in qt but now i think i'll just wait till i figure this tricky one out. Good luck with treating your fish!

The brine numbers sounds like SFB?

Yep - Wow thats good, knowing the brand just from those numbers!!!

Good luck with treating your fish!

You too Zenn! I'm hoping once I get the vitamins it will clear up.

The more I learn about this hobby I realize how little I actually know (and then when I think I do know something it turns out to be wrong anyway :lol: )

Back
Top Bottom