FW dip for flukes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've noticed my clown is still occasionally twitching after two prazipro doses and a week in cupramine. I was thinking of doing a large water change, give a slightly higher prazipro dose and after 3 days, freshwater dip for 10 minutes and introduce him into my DT. Would that be safe?

Is this a new fish or one that you had that is sick?

Freshwater dips are extremely harsh on a fish and can kill it, usually only recommended for extreme cases of ich and only as a last resort.

It's the one that was in the QT with the one that died, the healthy one. I don't know if I'm being paranoid though as I've been watching him for the past hour and haven't seen him twitch again, just kinda pushing to stay in one spot under the filter as when I got home it was lights out and he'll usually sleep there or on one of the PVC pipes. He seems healthy and still has an appetite because every time I open the lid he'll swim up to take a look to see if I'm feeding anything. I was thinking of one more prazipro dosage to kill any free swimming flukes, followed by a freshwater dip to remove any eggs and placing him in my DT where I know there aren't any flukes.

I just wanna do this right as it's my first SW tank and the clown death really bummed me out :(

I would let the prazi pro do its work and wait before adding any fish that might be potentially sick to be acting normal before adding them to a display. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Ahh I'll try another treatment. It'll be the 3rd one. You think I might have failed because I didn't put the dose along the side wall or directly into the filter, instead I just put it straight in the middle of the tank. Also, on my second dose I forgot to shake the bottle. You think this could have reduced the effectiveness of the dose?

Gonna try the 3rd dose and see how that goes and might dose a 4th time 3 days later.

He's not looking too good :( he's starting to have the same symptoms as the first clown. I'm doing a water change now and I'm gonna dose prazipro. I'm hoping this helps :(

Lethargic, loss of appetite, breathing a little bit fast but not a lot, saw him twitch a few times. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• image-4275783283.jpg
    image-4275783283.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1502559909.jpg
    image-1502559909.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 75
Ahh I gotcha. Well, if both cupramine and prazi pro aren't working I would place my bet on an internal bacterial infection.

Ahh I gotcha. Well, if both cupramine and prazi pro aren't working I would place my bet on an internal bacterial infection.

My only other thought would be that I cleaned the PVC pipes with goo gone but I rinsed them thoroughly, followed by a good 1-2 hour soak in hot water, and a soak overnight in salt water.

No carbon :( this is turning into a disaster :( I forgot to check sg before water change and it was way low :( it dropped from 1.0025 to 1.0023 :(

That much of a change is pretty insignificant for most fish and isn't something that you really need to worry about. It's the inverts that die from a drop like that.

So I guess I'm ok but he still doesn't look too good, I hope he doesn't pass.

Well, like the other he passed :( here's his body... I notice he has kind abrasions he didn't have a few hours ago it's weird.

Attachments

• image-853725874.jpg
    image-853725874.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 61
  • image-3535239151.jpg
    image-3535239151.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom