Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Kurt Nelson, treating the fish in a quarantine tank is not an option because I just ended an 8 week period of quarantining the fish. I used copper and the fish looked good. I put the fish back in and a few days later i notice small white dots on my butterfly fish. I have dealt with ich about 3 times now, the first i didnt keep the fish out of the tank long enough, the 2nd we tried to treat the main tank (bad idea), but it finally recovered and the third time was when we just ended the 8 week period. I thought that we finally got rid of the parasite but i believe that it might be coming back. I was extremely devastated to see this after a short period of them being back in the display. We agreed that we cannot continue to rip apart the tank, so hopefully I am wrong or the fish can fight it off. Any ways to help them survive if they do have ich is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #12

Also, how does hypo salinity work, do I have to take the fish out of the tank (i am guessing that is a yes but jw)

Old 10-09-2009, 12:59 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes... hypo has to be done out of the main tank since you need to drop your salinity down to 1.009.

I can understand your frustration fighting ich as many times as you have, but was wondering if there was some other reason you were giving up on treating the fish.

Here's more info on hypo treatment if you're interested...

ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Hyposalinity Treatment

And of course, the "standard" great articles on ich...

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
Old 10-09-2009, 01:24 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

i heard of a cleaner goby ("neon goby" -Gobiosoma oceanops) that will actually nip ick cysts off fish. not sure how sucessful that would be?
Old 10-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #15

I still don't understand why the 8 week period did not work. Putting the fish in quarantine tanks again wouldnt be ideal because we lost fish from the 8 week period and i still have a hipo tang in a quarantine tank dealing with hlle. i am unwilling to quarantine them again because if the ich didnt die in the main tank aftr 8 weeks then will it die after 4 to 6 weeks after treating them with hypo salinity?
Old 10-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #16

Also I am trying to stay away from adding new fish to the tank to reduce stress and the chances of adding another parasite, but thank you for the suggestion.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

i figured that's the case. Good luck!
Old 10-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyDoll View Post
I still don't understand why the 8 week period did not work. Putting the fish in quarantine tanks again wouldnt be ideal because we lost fish from the 8 week period and i still have a hipo tang in a quarantine tank dealing with hlle. i am unwilling to quarantine them again because if the ich didnt die in the main tank aftr 8 weeks then will it die after 4 to 6 weeks after treating them with hypo salinity?
8 week with your main tank fishless should have killed all the ich in the main tank. But if the copper treatment didn't actually kill the ich on the fish while in the QT, then that would be how it got back into your main. While copper treatments will definitely kill the parasite, keeping the copper levels at the appropriate levels, for the correct amount of time, is where that treatment seems to run into problems.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had some fish with ich, I used a natural medication called Microbe- Lift. It is safe for inverts and reef. It is a Ten day treatment once a day. I used it in my main tank with no trouble to my other livestock. The product is 100% all natural. I had good experience with it. It is worth trying. I have included a link for more information.

Premium Aquatics Blog: Microbe-Lift Herbtana - Reef Safe Medicine
Old 10-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #20

Neocatsy, how effective was this medicine when you used it? I have heard that all natural medications that are reef safe usually dont work but if you had good luck then I am willing to try it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com