Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Angry FWIW im done

ok heres the deal, i just ended the 8 week quarantine tank period for ich with copper. I lost a few fish on the way but i made it. Ive been down the ich road many times but i thot this would end it. a couple days later i think i see my butterfly fish and tang with very small white dots. There extremely small but i think it may be ich, i could be overeacting. MY family and i already agreed we cannot do anything else, and i still havent told them yet since it would crush them and it may not be definite. If it is ich the fish will sadly have to either live or die since we cannot do another quarantine thing for a 4th time. IF it is ich is there any possible way to kill it off early. I know garlic helps the fish and i have been using it for almost 2 years and it seems to do nothing. Advice needed for an aquarist about to give up i also have cleaner shrimp but they havent had much of an effect.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyDoll View Post
I know garlic helps the fish and i have been using it for almost 2 years and it seems to do nothing.
Garlic: What has been Studied Versus What has been Claimed by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

If you do keep them in the main make sure of pristine water conditions. This will keep stress to a minimum and hopefully give them a chance. QT and treatment would be better.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #3

I know quarantine would be better but I can't, sad but true, im just looking for options to give my fish a fighting chance incase im right.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #4

Also thankyou for the garlic link. Advice still needed and wanted.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Well do like I said then about frequent PWC`s and pristine water conditions for them to have a chance.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

If you are not going to qt again then all you can do is a fw dip, add them to the tank, and feed a varied nutritional diet. As melosu said, keeping your water quality from degrading is important whether there is disease or not. You can add garlic once weekly along with a Vit. supplement such as Selco. Some recommend Vit. C/B as well. If you do not want to go through another 4wk. qt period (hyposalinity > copper imo) and willing to pay (alot), nothing beats Chloroquine for Crypt (Ich), Amly (Velvet), and Turbellarian (worm) infestations.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #7

Innovator, I have never done a fw dip, so how do you do it properly. Also I have zoe, zoecon and vitamin c, will this work as well as selcon? Also what is Chloroqine? I will look it up but I would also like to hear your opinion on it.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

It's pretty simple really, just clean a 5g bucket and add about 2g of freshwater. You can use ro, rodi, filtered water, etc. If you use tap make sure you dechlorinate it. Test the pH and make sure it is within range of your saltwater tank (7.8-8.2 depending on your numbers). Also make sure the temperatures are within means, +/-2F. It never hurts to add a drop or two of Prime if you have it on hand. Aerate the water using either an airstone or rigid airline tubing. Once the pH and temperatures are within range, add your fish. They will stress for the first 10 seconds, but begin to relax and return to a normal breathing rate. DO NOT WALK AWAY!!! Monitor the animal for an excessive stress (freaking out) or increased/labored breathing. If the animal begins to show signs then take it out and place it into its destined tank. Usually most fw dips range anywhere from 2-15mins. 5mins is a good gauge. Not sure what exactly is in Zoe or Zoecon (site doesn't state specifically) so I'd stick with Zoe and you can add Vit. C (liquid) to food mixes or soak nori. About 1.5ml should be enough of both.

Chloroquine is expensive, I warn you, but is widely used in public aquariums and associations to eradicate ich, velvet, and turbellarians.
Fishman Chemical, LLC
https://webstore.spectrumchemical.co...&section=10170
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #9

How affective would you say fw dips are?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just curious why treating the fish in the quarantine isn't an option?

Seems to me that treating the fish with hyposalinity is a no-cost option and gives you a chance of being rid of it for good.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com