Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Garlic

Ok. One thing that I have learned in this hobby is that there are ways around the expensive manufacturers if you search. I want to know what is the best route to buy garlic to add to fish food to help prevent ick? It is not terribly expensive thorugh Kent/etc... but there has to be a cheaper way.
Is there a product at my local grocery store or is there an easy way to manufacture it myself?
Just Curious.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I use fresh garlic in my blender mush.

Old 04-21-2005, 05:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
I also add a few fresh cloves to my blender mush. The fish seem to LOVE the blender recipe of mine.
JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

may I ask what your recipe is?
Old 04-21-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
You really can't screw up blender mush but my personal recipe which I have found to work in feeding even a Bicolor Angel which if anyone knows are very picky in eating is as follows: oysters, clams, mussels, shrimp, a few sheets of nori, some ESV phytoplankton, a few fresh cloves of garlic and some tank water all into the blender and than frozen in ziplock baggies. It has worked for me for a few months and $15 will get you a lot more than any frozen stuff you buy at your LFS. HTH
JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:56 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
When I dosed garlic I would either get garlic juice from the grocery store or I would get fresh garlic cloves and press the oil/water out of them onto a plate and then soak the food or nori on that plate before feeding. The trick to the garlic press to get the water and not the flesh of the garlic is to press slowly. This will squeze the water out of the clove. Once you have about all the water yoru going to get from the first squese go ahead and press the flesh thru the press and then put the clove back thru the press for a second run. You seem to get more juice out of it the second time around.

My blender much conists of:

Saltwater
Tuna steak
Oysters
Clams
Squid
Scallops
Shrimp
Nori

Add Saltwater to get a workable consistancy. With out the salt water you end up with a discusstingly thick milkshake type liquid. As JohnNLuc described you then pour a little into ziplock freezer bags and press so its about 1/4" thick. Lay these flat in the freezer to harden. Then just break off a little chunk and thaw in some saltwater for feeding.

A little goes a long way so you dont need but maybe 1/2 a lb of each ingredent and you will have enough food for several months of feedings.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That sounds great. That is exactly the information I was searching for. If anyone else has a fish or coral food recipe....please post it!
Old 04-22-2005, 01:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan
I use fresh garlic in my blender mush.
EXACTLY !
Old 04-22-2005, 02:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

you can also buy Garlic Extract at any health food store ... I got some at at local place for $5 ... can't remeber the actual amount, though it is a lot!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garlic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com