Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2003, 11:45 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

So, to break in with a newbie question: Higher temps cause less oxgen in the water? A while back I raised the temp to 80-82 in my tank as a preventive against ick, no problems, but I wanted to keep it that way.

Noticed my two clowns were swimming funny and seemed sluggish, so after a few days, i lowered it again to 78. Seem much happier.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:49 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Grant R
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiceman
I no longer keep my tank at 79-80... it is 83-84.
Best thing to do to kill off ICH, but don't forget, higher tempratures also can be better for other diseases.
Once ICH is cured, I tend to slowly reduce the temp. back to normal, but thats just IMHO >

Grant R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 12:02 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Grant, Many of us have our saltwater tanks at 82-84F normally.

Clownfish, as the temp rises the amount of oxygen that the saltwater can hold goes down. But what is up for debate overall is HOW MUCH the oxygen goes down. It could be just a few ppm or it could be more. I have not seen any scientific results showing the exact decress given a specific temperature nor what would be the optimal temp before large oxygen loss occurs.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 01:00 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Might be a good question for a scientist who like to do these kind of studies. Dr. Ron maybe?
Old 01-07-2003, 01:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have not witnessed any change in my fish or corals since the temp change other then no ich. I have very good water flow across the surface of my tank. In fact my flow hits the opposite corner and is driven towards the DSB so hard that it has caused a low spot in the sand. I am running about 500 GPH and am thinking about putting a TEE at the end of the return to reduce divert some of the flow to another direction.

One thing I would say to support the surface flow theory is good trout water.... LOL. I don't know how many of you are fly fisherman but we always look for a good ripple in the surface to find trout. A very wide slow flowing river does not have the O2 that trout like. The Colorado river is great trout fishing in the narrow high flow areas that also contain deep lower flow pools. In the wide slow flowing ares their are very few trout but more carp and suckers.

Tags
eat, garlic, ich, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com