Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2007, 10:55 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

No it is not a cure it does boost the immune system as I believe they work together, but its a much safer way rather than using copper or if you havnt got a quarantine tank, the white spot dissapears off the surface of the fish quite quickly when I used it, allowing the fish's immune system to take over and fight off the infection. This tip I think is very useful to inexperienced people, hope some people benifited from my tips.

thnx for reading anyway
vix x

Old 01-17-2007, 04:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've only had ich twice. Once three years ago and only a few weeks ago. Both times it was only the one fish that was introduced that had it. In the first case it died and no other fish contracted it. The second only a few weeks ago fought it off itself. In this case I just made sure the fish was well fed and the major water parameters were in check. I did lower salinity but apparently not enough. I also added triple sulphar but as most will argue this is not designed to kill parasites, so it was really only to help stop secondary infections.

I've never used garlic and try to ensure a stress free well nourished fish.

flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:03 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to kerryB Send a message via MSN to kerryB
I was told by my LFS garlic just boosts the imune system of the fish not cure ich. But he did say when you come to do another water change do a bigger one and reduce the salinity alittle as the parsites dont do as well in low salt water.There salinity in there tanks are at 1.015 he said this way the fish has a better chance of fighting it off. He told me not to use any treatments as this will kill everything in you tank from bacterer to invertabrates.
I said what about containing the fish he said not to bother as this just stresses the fish even more.He said your just better off leaving him alone feed him well and keep an eye on him he said in time the fish will fight it off him self,and i have to say he is right as my yellow tang is looking alot better already.
Im giving him Nori,frozen brineshimp with garlic and a few flakes everyday.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The salinity has to be at 1.009 for it to do any good against the parasite. It needs to be done in a QT for your inverts will not be able to handle the lower salinity. Read these

Garlic: What has been Studied Versus What has been Claimed by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cure, eat, garlic, methods, spot, treatment, white spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com