Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2003, 10:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Garlic Juice

Is it advisable to drop 1 drop of garlic juice into the main tank ( around 13 gallon ) with fishes, tube worm, anemones inside? Because i suspect there is ich parasite.

Old 08-16-2003, 10:23 PM   #2
steve-s

Garlic will not kill ich. It can only aid fish in helping repel the parasite.

The best solution to your problem is to set up a proper QT tank and treat the fish with either copper or hyposalinity.

What kind of fish do you have? Some require differing methods of treatment.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-16-2003, 11:03 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If you garlic soak your food its been known to help the fish fight off ich. How this works is kind of unknown. There are all kinds of theorys ranging from the garlic oil gets into the fish and the ich parasite dislikes it and falls off. Another one I have heard is that it boosts the fish's appitite and thus increases its imune system.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 12:28 AM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
If you garlic soak your food its been known to help the fish fight off ich. How this works is kind of unknown.
This is actually not unknown. The main ingredient in garlic the helps the fish naturally repel ich is allicin. Any one interested can read aabout the positive affects (as well as some negative) >>here<<.

>>Here<< is a general article about allicin some may find of interest.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-17-2003, 02:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I placed a small piece of garlic, about 0.5cm by 0.5cm into the tank, will this helps the fish to fight off ich or? Btw the fish that seems to have ich parasite is a common clown fish ( orange brown in colour with white stripe ), i don't quite know the actual name for that type of clown.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:38 AM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansiz
I placed a small piece of garlic, about 0.5cm by 0.5cm into the tank, will this helps the fish to fight off ich or?
No it will have no affect. In order for garlic to work, the natural oils must be ingested by the fish. Simply placing garlic in the tank will have no affect.

Quote:
Btw the fish that seems to have ich parasite is a common clown fish ( orange brown in colour with white stripe ), i don't quite know the actual name for that type of clown.
It would either be an A. ocellaris or A. percula. You also cannot just treat one fish. Even though they may not show signs of the parasite, all fish must be treated and the tank left fallow for 4 weeks to ensure the parasite dies off.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-17-2003, 08:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

If i don't remove the fish from the main tank, and leave it as usual, take good care of the fishes, will the ich die off too?
Old 08-17-2003, 02:48 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansiz
If i don't remove the fish from the main tank, and leave it as usual, take good care of the fishes, will the ich die off too?
No, not without proper treatment in a seperate QT.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-17-2003, 11:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Then is there a treatment at the main tank itself? Cas i don't own a QT, is there some kind of medicine ( for example: anti-ich solution etc ) for salt water?
Old 08-18-2003, 12:05 AM   #10
steve-s

None that I would really recommend. Keep in mind your anemone is going to be very sensitive to anything you put in the tank and has the potential to kill it.

You do not need to have a proper tank to set up a QT, any plastic or rubbermaid bin will do. >>Here<< is a link for step by step instructions on how to set up a quick QT.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
garlic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com