Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Garlic treatment

I've been reading of the possible benefits garlic has for fighting parasites within fish.

What are some suggested methods of feeding the garlic? Obviously it would be within the standard fish food, but would you actually crush up a garlic clove and mix it with the food? I've read that the liquid garlic vitamin capsules tend to leave an oily residue on the water, so is there a "liquid garlic" additive available at most LFS? What other methods do you implore?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

http://www.atlantisaquatics.co.uk/ac...eachemsea.html

Yep at the LFS or mail order. It boosts the immune system to able to fight off onsets of ick. Won't cure it at all IMO. It also seems to generate a stronger feeding response with newcomers and exisiting fish alike.

Some do fresh garlic, but no need with this stuff on the market.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I use garlic from online. Read the instructions and dose accordingly. I have read if you add too much, it can confuse the fish. I add 2 drops for my 55G.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I buy the cloves and blend it up with my blender much. I mix in Zoe and whatever else I can get in there. Betaglucan is supposed to be good in boosting immunity. This can be found at GNC or similar places.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I buy cloves and when I am feeling lazy, the fresh crushed by Polander...that is found in jars in the produce section. The fish will eat the garlic bits as well.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Some do fresh garlic, but no need with this stuff on the market.
Spoken from the "Kinda Lazy" contingent. Maybe when I retire or something I can treat my fish better with real garlic. Got enuf already since I do 90% of the cooking for the family too. Heck, I use garlic powder, or minced in a jar with them.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

For me, it is a matter of price. Supermarket garlic is cheaper and I know exactly what I am adding to my food. I buy nori from the supermarket as well instead of buy the LFS variety.

Tags
eat, garlic, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com