General Mushroom Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawfishjunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi---
I pretty much have a FOWLR tank, but bought a mushroom coral rock to see if I could keep it. My lighting is 1 10,000 k bulb, 1 actinic and 1 generic hoodlight that came with the tank.

The Mushroom rock has generally done great for a month ----most days all 8 `shrooms appear swollen and healthy. Every once in a while I get a day where one seems kind of shriveled and dis-colored. At least 1 time this has happened after a water change.

I always think that its on its way out, but they always seem to bounce back in a day or so.

I was just wondering what may cause this type of behavior.

thank you for input.........

The mushrooms are a low-medium light coral. What type are they. Maybe a pic? also what size tank and what wattage lights. And lastly your water parameters.

Hi---
the mushroom in question is already looking better. Yesterday it was shriveled and dark. Today it was about 75% swollen and lighter again. I guess this is just part of their behavior. Perhaps they have "resting periods". I`ll keep anh eye on it , but for now, all the ` shrooms seem to be doing nicely.

thanks

Some corals go thru a period called sloughing that they`ll look bad for a day and then be OK. I have never seen mine do that though.

img_728132_0_b37f3ef809fd1fce170a55736e79889e.jpg

mine do it all the time, they will look really bad when they are dividing as well.

Back
Top Bottom