Getting a Cowfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnkristie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about getting a cowfish for my fish only tank. I've know some people have said to stay away from them because they release a toxin when they die and can kill your tank. But I 've also heard stories of people who have keep them for years, had them die and have had no problem. So I was wondering, how many people out there have actually had this happen to them or experienced any sort of trouble with cowfish?

i think it a risk that most dont want to take !! what are the other fish you want to keep the cowfish with lets start there !! also some fish i know can live thru the toxins some cant !!

Currently, I've got a medium Passer Angel, Foxface, Yellow Tang, Royal Gramma, Longnose Hawk, 3 Yellow Tail Damsels, Flame angel, and 3 Percula Clowns

Longhorn Cowfish
Lactoria cornuta

Says that when strssed, it can exude a toxin that may wipe out an entire tank.

There are 3 Cowfishes listed in this book as Cowfishes.
2 of them are reportedly able to exude this toxin. The one listed above and Scrawled Cowfish.

The Thornback Cowfish can exude some form of toxin but it says that they are less apt to do so or the toxin is not lethal, as poisioning are very rarely reported.
The Thornback is also the smallest of the Cowfishes, growing to a maxium length os 5.9 inches, while the others will get between 18 and 19 inches.

Hope this might help you out.
This is from a book called "Marine Fishes" by Scott W. Michael

Very good guide to over 500 Marine fishes.

Mike

My porcupine puffer accidently inhaled my cowfish on 2 seperate occasions while in a feeding frenzy. Neither time did the cowfish "Exude" anything.

Hes also been picked on by a trigger, having one of his rear horns bitten off and a front horn split into.

If those incidents are not enough to make him release toxins, then I cant imagine what would cause it.

Every tank is different and every fish is different, so what applies to me may not apply to you, but hes got more personality than all my other fish put together and I wouldnt trade him for anything.

I know some of you are sick of looking at my cowfish, but I gotta post the pic again :D

lhcow.jpg

I was reading this thinking about a clownfish. Then the horns were mentioned and I took another look at the name! Oops!

Back when I was clueless the kid at the LFS told me that a cowfish was a great first addition to a tank. He lasted about 3 weeks. I found him in the morning and got him out right away. His tankmate, a tomato clown, was fine.

Its a risk but it seems like it doesn't always happen.

I Love cowfishes!

Nitrate, how big has he gotten in two years? I would love to have one, but only have an 80 gal. Too small for a cow?

I Love cowfishes!

Nitrate, how big has he gotten in two years? I would love to have one, but only have an 80 gal. Too small for a cow?

Hes probably doubled in size, maybe more, but he was tiny when I got him. I would think that a 80 would be fine. When I first got him I had a 55.

Hes only about 3" now.

cow.jpg

Back
Top Bottom