Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2005, 12:00 AM   #1
EBR
Aquarium Advice Activist

getting ready for a sump

Hey Everyone --

I've got a 55 gal that's been running quite happily for a year, and all has been going well with the LR, Fluval canister, and Seaclone skimmer. But I've finally gotten sick and tired of looking at and manually skimming the surface crud, so I'm finally getting around to putting in a sump.

I am planning to upgrade to a 120-ish gal tank some time this year, so for the moment I'm only interested in skimming the surface while moving the skimmer and heater to the sump. For the sump itself, I'm thinking just a plastic tub -- now when I upgrade, I'll do it properly with a refugium built in ;-)

This leaves the pump and surface skimmer as the only pieces that will be reused with the 120, so I want to get something that will last and perform well. I like the weir overflow design since it retains the siphon if power goes out (which happens often at my house -- but not for long -- I hae a generator), and have found the CPR cs100 for about $90 (800 gph). I'm also thinking about making the overflow myself, but with the same basic idea in mind.

1- Does anyone have experience with this CPR overflow? good, bad, or indifferent? any other recommendations?

2- how would I determine the proper pump size? the sump will be within the stand -- so maybe 5 feet of head height.

3- In the even of a pump failuer, I understand the need for enough space in the sump to accomodate the tank water until it's surface falls below the overflow. But what about if/when the overflow becomes clogged, and the pump just keeps pumping away, potentially overflowing the tank? How do you guard against that mess?

Thanks.
Matt

Old 03-10-2005, 02:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

1. - Personally, a J tube over flow is da bomb.
2 - Measure it. Most pumps post gph (or gpm) @ 4'. Gives you an excellent idea for approxmating. I would shoot for min 10x turnover. (And plan on sizing it for your 120G)
3 - Take a peek at your over flow everyday, won't bite cha. Some folks use float switches and all that, but if your looking at something that will work with your 120, then its prolly gonna be 3/4" or 1" dual overflows. Take one mighty big crab to clog that up. Not saying it cannot happen, but, thats what they make screens and prefilts for.

GL!

P.S. If your really just looking for something to polish the water with (To keep the 'dust' looking material off the surface) just pick up a cheap HOB filter. Works wonders..

Old 03-10-2005, 05:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
also for the 120g you might want to go with the bigger cpr overflow something in the 1000's range. i use a mag drive 7 in my pump and highly recommend them, you would probably would want to go with something bigger like a 12 or something. mine puts out 475gph at 4 ft. in my 75g tank. as when your power goes out it's pretty well though of how the overflow works. first you need to have enough volume in your sump to compensate, i'd say my displacement is about 1-2gal. with the d tube it will cut off the flow after it has drained below the overflow, leave the j tube in the overflow, the syphon action will be stopped but will resume when your pump turns back on. this is the way mine works anyways
Old 03-10-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
EBR
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks --

Quote:
1. - Personally, a J tube over flow is da bomb.
Not doubting you, but why's that? performance? maintenance?

Quote:
2 - Measure it. Most pumps post gph (or gpm) @ 4'. Gives you an excellent idea for approxmating. I would shoot for min 10x turnover. (And plan on sizing it for your 120G)
3 - Take a peek at your over flow everyday, won't bite cha. Some folks use float switches and all that, but if your looking at something that will work with your 120, then its prolly gonna be 3/4" or 1" dual
Sounds like sage advice -- thanks. When you say "dual", does that mean there are two hoses from the o/f to the sump? if so, is that just for peace of mind? Unless there are two J tubes, it would still seem to have a single point of clogging.

Quote:
also for the 120g you might want to go with the bigger cpr overflow something in the 1000's range. i use a mag drive 7 in my pump and highly recommend them, you would probably would want to go with something bigger like a 12 or something.
Thanks.

Matt

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com