Getting sick of ICHH!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stonewall2185

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All, Well i dont know about everyone else i am getting sick of ich though.
I have a 39 gallon tank and Ive had it for about 3 months now! everything was going fine i had about 6 different species of fish in there and then i added the lionfish to the tank. Well stupid me wasn't quarantining and of the fish before putting them in my tank and the lion brought the ich.

Well low and behold the lion fish ended up being the only one left. I have him in the quarantine tank now for about a week and half and i haven't had any fish in my main tank since. Well my levels were looking good in my main tank so i decided to get 2 new fish and put them in my main tank and see how they were doing.. I was also putting in garlic guard in their food and ICH Attack in the tank as a preventative. But low and behold this morning i work up and my new clown had ich on it.

I dont think ich attack does anything by the way.. I dont really reccomend it. But my advice i need to get is what i should do now. Im going to raise the water tempature in my main tank and take my two new fish and put them into the quarentine tank.

But what should i do about the main tank. I have 2 shrimp 3 hermit crabs and 3 snails so i cant just dump chemicals in there.

I have heard and read that if i just leave the fish out of the tank for 1 month then the ich will die off with out a host. Is that true?

I have also heard that I could treat everything with either this stuff called nosickfish its like $50 or this other stuff called Sano Broad Spectrum Salt Water Reef Tank Remedies its like $40 bucks for a small bottle both are claiming to be a great cure for ich.

I have also heard about using ruby reef kick ich and also UV sterilizers to help prevent getting ich back. Also about putting UV bulbs in the filter??

SO make a long story short.. Has anyone heard anything about those chemicals i listed above?

If i keep all my fish out of my main tank for a month will the ich die off with out a host and it will be safe to put my fish back in then?

while im waiting a month should i be putting any chemicals in my main tank?

have you heard anything about UV steralizers and UV bulbs in ur canister filters?

if anyone has any insite i would be greatly appreciated

UV is almost pointless for fighting ich IMO, ich mulitiplies and hides in the substrate when it is not attached to a host, and UV's only kill what flows/gets pumped into them, so very little affect on ich. My suggestion is you research hyposalinity for your ich cure. Stay away from those "quick remedies" as they will only pollute your tank even further. You should leave the fish in qt for 4 weeks after the last visible sign of ich disappears, and leave the main display tank empty for at least 8 weeks to break the ich cycle in the tank. HTH.

Back
Top Bottom