Gill Flukes. Im fighting a losing battle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i wouldn't worry too much about losing the cycle in the main tank. do you have corals in there? any CUC? if you don't have any of those, you can simply throw in a piece of raw shrimp

i wouldn't worry too much about losing the cycle in the main tank. do you have corals in there? any CUC? if you don't have any of those, you can simply throw in a piece of raw shrimp

I don't have anything in there. I think throwing in a shrimp will cause a huggggeeee algae bloom too. Would a couple ammonia drops a couple times a week be okay? I don't want the nitrates to skyrocket either, so I'll only use a couple drops

I don't have anything in there. I think throwing in a shrimp will cause a huggggeeee algae bloom too. Would a couple ammonia drops a couple times a week be okay? I don't want the nitrates to skyrocket either, so I'll only use a couple drops

no it wont, have a little faith in your bb:cool:

Well, I got them all moved in to qt yesterday. 2 of the 3 are eating. I want to wait until they're all eAting to medicate the tank. I was planning on trying "quick cure ich" first because it has fomalin, but does anyone have any ideas of stronger meds I can use for these flukes? They seem to be resistant to prazi, so no more prazi.

Waterlifes Sterazin, similar to parazin. I don't know the active ingredients but they also make para which has a broader parasite spectrum where sterazin is specific to flukes only. But it cant be used if crustaceans echinoderms ( Sea Urchins, Starfish), s/w Sharks, Rays, Piranha, Sturgeon and Sterlets are in the tank.

I could be pointing you to another prazi med but its worth looking at in detail because i think its alittle different.

Last edited:
Waterlifes Sterazin, similar to parazin. I don't know the active ingredients but they also make para which has a broader parasite spectrum where sterazin is specific to flukes only. But it cant be used if crustaceans echinoderms ( Sea Urchins, Starfish), s/w Sharks, Rays, Piranha, Sturgeon and Sterlets are in the tank. I could be pointing you to another prazi med but its worth looking at in detail because i think its alittle different.

I'm unable to find the active ingredient in sterazin, but it might only be available in the UK, I haven't seen and US stores selling it :/

If I use a bucket on the main tank, and then use that same bucket once the flukes are all gone, could I possibly reintroduce flukes even if the bucket was dry, or should I sanitize it somehow?

Would freshwater kill any possible parasites on it?

If I use a bucket on the main tank, and then use that same bucket once the flukes are all gone, could I possibly reintroduce flukes even if the bucket was dry, or should I sanitize it somehow?

Would freshwater kill any possible parasites on it?

dry it out for a few days.

You could rinse it in bleach and then really wash it well. Before using it again I would let it sit with some water and some prime in it to make sure. :) I see the nightmare you are in and i would do every little stupid thing I could to make sure i got it. Overkill, maybe, safer than sorry? Oh yes....

Thank you! I will do the bleach thing. I don't want to deal with this again. I guess everything I use will go in that bucket to make sure everything is clean.

Edit- what about white vinegar? I've heard of that being used and it seems like it would be a bit safer

Thank you! I will do the bleach thing. I don't want to deal with this again. I guess everything I use will go in that bucket to make sure everything is clean.

Edit- what about white vinegar? I've heard of that being used and it seems like it would be a bit safer

Its much much safer, just give it a rince with warm water using the shower head. It wont matter even if alittle gets in the tank as ive even heard of people using it to lower ph in marine tanks.

I noticed the butterfly has a little bit of a pinched stomach. It's been this way for a couple days and I'm not sure why. It's not an internal parasite, he poops brown and it shoots out like a bomb. I've been trying to feed him a little more to see of it helps, but is there another reason why a fish would suddenly develop this? I've never seen it on him before.

It light be the bad lighting in the qt tank, and it's just an illusion.

In the big tank he ate tons of seaweed. Now, hes eating some but he isnt as interested in it

Back
Top Bottom