Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Because he is sick and stressed. That is most likely the safest place it can find without fighting out for its own spot in the tank. The fish was very skinny and might not have any strength at all.
In terms of danger ich poses, that it also infects the gills and can make it harder for them to breathe. That aside, it continues to lower the strength of the fish opening up to other diseases, fungus, so on.

Thanks for the info. Few things: I'm glad to know he's just feeling exhausted from the illness, and not actually in the stages of dying from the ick directly.

Second, to my surprise the ick spots from this morning have once again vanished, and he is actually returning to normal grazing and half-staring at anyone who walks by the tank. Assuming the trophonts have simply dropped off, this is expected, but based on other's experiences with fighting off ick, should I still do a hypo tank?

Old 04-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

...And as I was typing the previous message my scissortail goby jumped out of a crack in the top, and landed on the floor. I picked him up barehanded and had him back in in 10 seconds. He looks as if nothing happened. Should I be worried about after effects? Lol what a weird thing to happen as I was sitting here

Old 04-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #13
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The spots will come and go often during this battle with ich. This is normal. The fact that it is eating is a good sign. I would most definitely take action on this fish asap, as I think I suggested earlier but may be confusing this with another tang/ich thread I've said to treat in...as it was pretty bad by looks of the picture. Either way, without actual treatment as garlic, ginger, whatever isn't an actual cure it is very unlikely to have recovery without a hypo/copper treatment.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Must be a different thread, different story here - the ick had not reached a late stage of infection when I noticed it. Not many trophonts. Also, from what I've read the fact that the fish is in great physical condition (weight, eating, no past infections, no skin blemishes, and not much fish competition) can sometimes lead to the fish fighting off the infection on its own.

However, if I did hypo I'd have to do all the fish for a month, so I'll wait a little while to see if and by how much the ich reproduces and tries to reinfect the fish. I don't want to put the fish in jeopardy, and I understand the exponential growth pattern of ick, however so far the fish seem to be in very good condition, and water quality is stable/on par. If any of that logic seems wrong, please let me know! I haven't had any previous SW ick adventures lol
Old 04-09-2015, 01:01 AM   #15
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Actually, once the cysts fell off you shouldn't see any showing back up. One of the life stages of ich is where it grows in the sandbed. If there is no sandbed, it could be that they are unable to continue through life. No proof towards that, but a freshwater dip might even do the trick. The entire reason for a lengthy QT is to not only watch the fish, but for the life cycle of ich to die out in the display. Sadly, it is in your display and only one thing can occur to change that bit if you choose to do so.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Seems like the two things to cover with ick are the infected fish and the tank, and qt for a few weeks does both. Also, I've read different opinions on the idea that ick exist in many if not all marine aquarium systems - just guessing that the infection of my fish has made this population much more prevalent?

Thanks for the advice on a hospital tank, I will start treatment tonight. Going to get that ick out of there no matter what
Old 04-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks, seen the latter two - partly where the ginger idea came from.
About quarantine, I guess every hobbyist should ideally quarantine everything with water... Imo with the number of variables for the "average" hobbyist this rigorous qt practice and required tanks, equipment, and medications could outweigh the benefits of complete control. Seems like in 99% of cases with SW fish/invertebrate ailments the aquarist didn't take the required practice of quarantining the fish, or just made a mistake with water quality. But for public institutions or very serious reefkeepers high end quarantine seems like a necessity .

Tags
eat, ich, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com