Going fallow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flipper0512

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I run the Dt with just the protein skimmer? So I can transfer the hob to the qt?

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry. I'm thinking about pulling everyone to a new qt/hospital tank for id the dt of ick, and then ensure qt for all new fish - kind of a start over. Seeing my DT is still new I want to carry over as much BB as I can. I was wondering if while going fishless in the DT do I need to run mechanical filtration or if the protein skimmer will be enough, and for how long. There will be a few invert left but no fish. It is a 90 gallon and the skimmer is a bh2000. My mechanical is an AC110, and this is what I want to place on the QT/hospital.

Would that be enough BB for kick start the hospital tank or will I cycle?

I'm looking at a 40 breeder.

There won't be any fish in the display, so there won't be food or poop to remove from the system. No need to run filtration on it.
If you want to move the filter over to the QT, that will work. If you are treating with copper you will want to make sure none of the filter media/filter floss comes back over to the display tank.

2 more question if I can:

I see everyone uses white PVC, any issues using black? Do I have to clean it?
Also was planning on using crazy glue to glue them together some caves. Any issues re-using the PCV aqua scape again if I do treat with cooper?

Any PVC would be fine as long as it doesn't have any copper components in it.
As for glue, you want 100% cyanoacrylate. I like loctite super glue gel personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think those black PVC are lower grade if I remember correctly. Somehow when u comparing them side by side black seems to be thinner.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Getting ready to make the switch. How's my Orange dotted sand siftting go by going to be without sand?

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry. I'm thinking about pulling everyone to a new qt/hospital tank for id the dt of ick, and then ensure qt for all new fish - kind of a start over. Seeing my DT is still new I want to carry over as much BB as I can. I was wondering if while going fishless in the DT do I need to run mechanical filtration or if the protein skimmer will be enough, and for how long. There will be a few invert left but no fish. It is a 90 gallon and the skimmer is a bh2000. My mechanical is an AC110, and this is what I want to place on the QT/hospital.

Would that be enough BB for kick start the hospital tank or will I cycle?

I'm looking at a 40 breeder.

first question;
are you going to be treating the quarantine tank with copper or similar medications?
if not than I wouldn't move anything over from the suspect DT for fear of transferring the parasites as well, especially in the filter media where they are more likely to be trapped.
whether or not your filter will suffice in the QT depends on the stocking load, but I'm going to make the assumption of no, it will not be enough.
frequent water changes are the most sure fire way to maintain quality in a quarantine tank.

with just a few inverts left in the DT, good water circulation should suffice if the live rock is still viable.

2 more question if I can:

I see everyone uses white PVC, any issues using black? Do I have to clean it?
Also was planning on using crazy glue to glue them together some caves. Any issues re-using the PCV aqua scape again if I do treat with cooper?

I think the main difference between the two, PVC vs ABS is that ABS is more porous/less dense than PVC and is not rated for potable water systems, but other than that it is fine for use in aquariums
If you compare the cut end of a piece of each you will see what I mean.
I think the actual fittings/connectors are the same density as PVC though.

in short, black pipe should be fine.(y)

I did pull all fish out of dt and started my treatment of cooper in qt. My keyhole angel was the most affect with ich and did not last 24 hours after transfer. I also had my goby take a leep. That was my favorite fish too. So in the qt are a foxface. A coral beauty. 2 yellow chromis and 2 clowns. I have a power head in qt and in dt. Both are 1100 gph. Wish me luck. Thanks

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good luck. Ich can be a pain. I had struggles with it when I first got into saltwater. The sole survivor is with me to this day as the male in my clown pair jumped and was able to be accepted into the other tank giving me a cool orange/black clown pair.
You are on the right path. Just keep it up. This will also help you set the stage for future inhabitants once going fallow has run its course and things smooth out. Can just use this tank to observe and even treat new incoming fish.

It alls about learning. Its seems like a. Rite of passage. Better now then down the road when the investment is much greater. Now i can apply my learnings to the dt. And rearrange things better. Might set up the sump as well. Thanks for all the support.

So ran the 14 day treament of cooper. I lost three fish which are the only two which had ich both dwarf angels and my goby jumped. My clowns chromis and fox face have never shown any symptoms and look good. I just did a 15% water change. Whats next? Wait the next four weeks for yhe dt? Do i add back carbon? Can i get few fish and qt them now or just wait? Thanks for any input.

Back
Top Bottom