Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2015, 07:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Going fallow

Can I run the Dt with just the protein skimmer? So I can transfer the hob to the qt?

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 04-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Are you asking if you can have the skimmer in a HOB situation on the back of the display and not in the sump?

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #3

Sorry. I'm thinking about pulling everyone to a new qt/hospital tank for id the dt of ick, and then ensure qt for all new fish - kind of a start over. Seeing my DT is still new I want to carry over as much BB as I can. I was wondering if while going fishless in the DT do I need to run mechanical filtration or if the protein skimmer will be enough, and for how long. There will be a few invert left but no fish. It is a 90 gallon and the skimmer is a bh2000. My mechanical is an AC110, and this is what I want to place on the QT/hospital.

Would that be enough BB for kick start the hospital tank or will I cycle?

I'm looking at a 40 breeder.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

There won't be any fish in the display, so there won't be food or poop to remove from the system. No need to run filtration on it.
If you want to move the filter over to the QT, that will work. If you are treating with copper you will want to make sure none of the filter media/filter floss comes back over to the display tank.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #5

2 more question if I can:

I see everyone uses white PVC, any issues using black? Do I have to clean it?
Also was planning on using crazy glue to glue them together some caves. Any issues re-using the PCV aqua scape again if I do treat with cooper?
Old 04-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Any PVC would be fine as long as it doesn't have any copper components in it.
As for glue, you want 100% cyanoacrylate. I like loctite super glue gel personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 04-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think those black PVC are lower grade if I remember correctly. Somehow when u comparing them side by side black seems to be thinner.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #8

Getting ready to make the switch. How's my Orange dotted sand siftting go by going to be without sand?

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Should be fine. My watchman ate food from the water column b

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 04-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper0512 View Post
Sorry. I'm thinking about pulling everyone to a new qt/hospital tank for id the dt of ick, and then ensure qt for all new fish - kind of a start over. Seeing my DT is still new I want to carry over as much BB as I can. I was wondering if while going fishless in the DT do I need to run mechanical filtration or if the protein skimmer will be enough, and for how long. There will be a few invert left but no fish. It is a 90 gallon and the skimmer is a bh2000. My mechanical is an AC110, and this is what I want to place on the QT/hospital.

Would that be enough BB for kick start the hospital tank or will I cycle?

I'm looking at a 40 breeder.
first question;
are you going to be treating the quarantine tank with copper or similar medications?
if not than I wouldn't move anything over from the suspect DT for fear of transferring the parasites as well, especially in the filter media where they are more likely to be trapped.
whether or not your filter will suffice in the QT depends on the stocking load, but I'm going to make the assumption of no, it will not be enough.
frequent water changes are the most sure fire way to maintain quality in a quarantine tank.

with just a few inverts left in the DT, good water circulation should suffice if the live rock is still viable.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com