Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Goliath the grouper died :(

My miniataus grouper died today :-/

I have no clue what happened. He was in a 75 gallon tank until he was big enough to go in the 300 he was about 3.5"long but I've had him for about 3 weeks and he has been perfect. But I checked my water yesterday and everything was fine except my nitrates were at 5 so I did a water change and replaced with R/O water.

Salinity was at 1.025 yesterday

Any ideas?

Old 10-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

5 is NOT going to do anything. You can keep corals easily in 5. IDK what happened, he could hae just been stressed. Best of luck with your other fish.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks :-/ I have a jewel damsel in there now and a small blue spiny lobster but that's all and they seem to be doing fine
Old 10-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The water was really really hot when I found him dead :-/ it's usually at 78 but it easily was 87 or more. my heater is set at 73. Can it be my light that is making the tank so hot? It's a 36" two bulb T5 it sit right on top of the glass lid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4169085793.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	55020  
Old 10-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

the lights probably wouldn't, but the heater could have gone overboard, and the glass lid works like a greenhouse. So, all the things in combination could have done it
Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's what I figured. Any suggestions?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd double check that heater to make sure that the thermostat isn't stuck in the on position. Most have a light on them that indicate when they are actually heating. If your tank is at say 80 degrees or more, and it's still on, that's the culprit and the heater likely will need to be replaced. 87 is pretty hot, especially for saltwater fish that aren't from tidal pools.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok cool thank you very much I will do some experiments!

Any suggestions on a good thermometer I'm pretty sure mine is broken.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ya my heater is definitely faulty I'm going to have to get a new one. And suggestions on good heaters?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:40 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

fluval "e" series

Tags
die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com