Goliath the grouper died :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiltymj

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My miniataus grouper died today :-/

I have no clue what happened. He was in a 75 gallon tank until he was big enough to go in the 300 he was about 3.5"long but I've had him for about 3 weeks and he has been perfect. But I checked my water yesterday and everything was fine except my nitrates were at 5 so I did a water change and replaced with R/O water.

Salinity was at 1.025 yesterday

Any ideas?

5 is NOT going to do anything. You can keep corals easily in 5. IDK what happened, he could hae just been stressed. Best of luck with your other fish.

Thanks :-/ I have a jewel damsel in there now and a small blue spiny lobster but that's all and they seem to be doing fine

The water was really really hot when I found him dead :-/ it's usually at 78 but it easily was 87 or more. my heater is set at 73. Can it be my light that is making the tank so hot? It's a 36" two bulb T5 it sit right on top of the glass lid

Attachments

• image-4169085793.jpg
    image-4169085793.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 85
the lights probably wouldn't, but the heater could have gone overboard, and the glass lid works like a greenhouse. So, all the things in combination could have done it

I'd double check that heater to make sure that the thermostat isn't stuck in the on position. Most have a light on them that indicate when they are actually heating. If your tank is at say 80 degrees or more, and it's still on, that's the culprit and the heater likely will need to be replaced. 87 is pretty hot, especially for saltwater fish that aren't from tidal pools.

Ok cool thank you very much I will do some experiments!

Any suggestions on a good thermometer I'm pretty sure mine is broken.

Ya my heater is definitely faulty I'm going to have to get a new one. And suggestions on good heaters?

I use the Visitherm now. I used to have the Stealth Pro until the recall. I understand the titanium unbreakable one with a remote thermostat are supposed to be the creme de la creme.

If your tank continuously runs too hot you might have to invest in a chiller.

I find the submersible Jager made in Germany are really good. Than again anything made in Germany is awesome -.^

Ya it's not consistent at all it's either right where it should be or to hot. It ran fine all day yesterday but this morning it's just to hot and the heater is still running

If the heater is still running than I would definitely get a new heater ASAP

Back
Top Bottom