Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2003, 11:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Got a hard one for you reef geek: :lol:

I had a customer that told me that there were a bunch of little things swimming in his tank after he bought some live rocks from me. So I'm thinking some eggs were hatching from an invert or something. He said that they were swimming against the current. Any ways, then he said that he had ICH the next day, so I told him that he should move is inverts to a QT tank and run hyposalinity on his main thank. All the other stores told him to use Ridick. (I only recommend using medication as a last resort.)

The weird thing is that he said when there are less of these swimming things in the water the fishes are covered with ICK but them later in the day he noticed that the ick looked better but had a lot more of the swimming larva. Have any of you heard of this. It can't be mysis shrimp or coepods.
I am totally stumped. I might just be a coincidence.

Thanx.

Old 11-14-2003, 11:32 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
It can't be mysis shrimp or coepods.
Why? Unless you have seen them yourself and know them not to be mysis or copepods...Ick on fish can be difficult to see, I have never been able to see it in the water column of tanks that had fish ate up with ick.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 01:04 PM   #3
ste
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i would agree you would only see free swimming ich through a microscope as they are to small for the naked eye
Old 11-15-2003, 02:23 PM   #4
steve-s

Re: Got a hard one for you reef geek: :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strictly Marine
so I told him that he should move is inverts to a QT tank and run hyposalinity on his main thank. All the other stores told him to use Ridick. (I only recommend using medication as a last resort.)
Glad to hear about the not using meds unneccessarily but you should only advise someone to use hyposalinity on an FO tank and even that is not the best idea. Hyposalinty will kill just about everything in a tank except bacteria and boney fish. Coralline on the rock and the fauna/fluora that live in and on them would also perish.

A better practice would be to quarantine all the fish and leave the display tank fallow for 4-6 weeks and allow the parasite to die naturally without a fish host to feed it.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-16-2003, 01:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, since he had over 6 fish in that tank and the only QT tank was a 10 gallon. I told him to move any inverts and rock that had life on it in the QT tank with some substrate and a filter. The inverts won't put much of a load in the small QT tank. He would not be able to put all the fish in a small 10.
hippo tang
two false pers
butterfly
bi color blenny
It was more practical to put the inverts and some rock in the QT tank and save as much of the micro fauna as possible.
better than what the other store suggested. I didn't try to sell him anything.
just trying to give the best advice I knew. and also getting your opinion, just in case I was wrong. Thanx for the quick response.
I am actually going to his house tomorrow to see whats going on. Since he buys most of his stuff from me. I want to make sure I do him right by him.

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com