Gramma with white belly and patch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canadian_eh

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Royal Gramma that I bought 3 weeks ago and its belly is now white and it has a patch on one side that was white but has now darkened.. It also has been rubbing that side around the aquarium a bit. It has been eating fine although it doesn't like flake and seems active enough.

It's in the QT tank with no ammonia or nitrite present.

I stepped up the water changes and that seemed to help a bit as the now brown patch used to protrude a bit.

I'm wondering how I should go about treating this.

Thanks for any help.

-Ron

Sounds like it could possibley be Uronema or an internal parasite/bacterial infection.

Any sign of stringy or white feces? Reddening of the anus? Does it swim and behave otherwise normally?

Cheers
Steve

Well there are no stringy feces, red anus and other than the flashing it behaves the same as the day I got it.

-Ron

The belly is the same/shape and size right, no sign of bloating? Should have asked that before, sorry. I'm trying to determine if this is Uronema, a internal bacterial/parasite problem or simple bloat.... :?

If the belly is normal except the white area's, I'd lean towards Uronema.

Cheers
Steve

I'm still not 100 % sure but what I would suggest is a bacterial treatment to be on the safe side. Furacyn (a nitrofurazone based med) would be the "all 'round" choice so to speak. It wll help if Uronema in it's early stages and will help if an internal bacterial infection.

Treat using 30 mg/gal as a one time dose for 5 days. Take a little tank water out at each feeding time to soak the foods in for a ½ hr or so. This will help the fish injest the med and work on the internal problem if there is one.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve I'll give it a shot. This morning it seems to be flashing a whole lot so I hope I can find some at my LFS and start treatment today.

Wish me luck!

-Ron.

Good luck (y)

Just be sure you look for a med that is made up primarily of nitrofurazone.

Cheers
Steve

There are quite a few places here that might. The best suggestion is KingEd's pet supplies in Burnaby. As far as your locale, I would suggest looking in petstores that specialize in FW aquaria. The larger the shop the more likely they will carry it.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

I just wanted to let you know how things are progressing. Seems to be doing pretty well now. Much less ( haven't seen any today ) flashing and the discolored area is much smaller and lighter.

Thanks again for the help. I'm going to keep on treating it until it looks 100% back to normal and then start counting the QT days starting from 0 again I guess.

-Ron.

Good to hear (y)

Where did you end up finding the med?

Cheers
Steve

It was at superpet or petsmart...can't keep those two apart in my head. I never would have thought to go there if it weren't for you.

Back
Top Bottom