GREEN BRAIN SICK???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noelskii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
helpp my green brain looks like its shedding or something...white stuff floating away from it...what does this mean??? and what can i do to stop it??

Corals can shed . Any chance of pictures . What are your perameters . Ammonia NitrIte , NitrAte , ph , phosphate , and calcium and alk ? what kind of lighting is it under . Has the color changed ?

everything is at zero cept phosphates which is a lil under 10....no the color hasnt changed...i have 250 watts mh and and 130 watts actinic......its with a 10gal fuge.....

I would say it is just shedding but with out a pic it is hard to say....Is there any tissue ression on it skeleton (white ) showing ?I would say set up to do a water change of 20% if there is something in the water such as another coral an it having a chemical war this will help .. also new carbon to remove anything as well.It is possible that there is some algea on it(with phosphates at 10 ) but again with out pics it is difficult to say ...IMHHO I would say water change 20% ,new carbon and monitor it it sounds like it is shedding . If you are not doing weekly water changes you may wish to look into that as well.

You dont have any fish that nips on corals do you. Any angels. Give us a list of fish in your tank. I had a problem on one of my brains and come to find out a keyhole angel was nipping at him. Sadie had a good idea about another coral being near it. What other corals are near it?

no other corals near it really..jes some polyps. it is near a powerhead though......domino damsel, blue/yellow damsel, hippo tang, yellow tang

No fish there that really jump out as nippers , however do keep an eye on the tangs as they will some times nip to get food and stress the corals . Keep an eye open at night to make sure nothing is picking on it at night... How old are your bulbs .It is a possibility that the polyps could be irritating it and it is "shedding" as defense or as protection

I have a Trach that did the same thing I couldn't figure it out until I saw what was going on my DAMSEL was nippipng the heck out of it. Does your coral draw up and shed this white stuff or is it expanded and shedding it? Damsel is out of the tank now!

my domino damsel only pick on the yellow tang coz it was there before him..never seen it nip on any of the corals, jes the other fish....the brain already stopped putting out that white stuff...it only put out that white stuff for about a day,,it looked like it had an openeing on it but now i dont see the opening on it....i hope its fine...you think the powerhead is too strong on it???

right now the brain is located on top of a rock...should i move it to on the bottom and on top of the sand bed? i have a 54 corner btw

OK there is the problem maybe. Brain corals need to be in the substrate. They need to be laying in the sand. Being in the rock will cause irratation of the skin and cause it to regress. Try putting it on the bottom on the sdand and I`ll bet you see a difference.

You can see where mine are and do quite good.

Attachments

• 000_0252_367.jpg
    000_0252_367.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_0159_660.jpg
    100_0159_660.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 25
nice i like that purple one..do they grow big fast? or spread? i want other colors......

ahhh!!!!! sutpid lazy mistake!!! i wanted to add more salt so i jes added it straight into the tank instead of premixing...and some of it landed on top of the green brain and it died.............suckkkkks! that was $85..........

Yes you cant add salt mix to your tank like that. The results will be disasterous.

the brain used to be very soft and now its like a rock...but some parts of it still moves...could it still be alive??

If there is any tissue there is a chance that it will recover

Back
Top Bottom