Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Green Bubble half inflating

Until 3-4 days ago, my green bubble was healthy and vital looking. Then one day, I noticed that one half doesn't seem to inflate fully, and remains mostly deflated. I've also noticed brown strings coming from the deflated areas. Is this a bad sign, or just part of a process these corals go through?

I've done nothing out of the routine to the tank or water, and the coral has been in the same spot since day 1 (introduced 3 months ago), in a medium to low flow area about midway in the water level. The water parameters are all at par (tested yesterday):

Ammonia - 0
Ph - 8.4
Nitrate - <10
Nitrite - <0.2
Alkalinity - 3.5
Calcium - 315
Salinity - 1.022
150w Metal Halide light

The bubbles on the left side are usually a bit more open/inflated than when this pic was taken.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I'm not a reefer, but those nitrItes and low calcium might have something to do with it. I would knock out those nitrItes first. Hopefully another can give you more specific advice.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Agreed with the calcium Roka...I just realized the calcium levels are a tad bit low (315 vs. 350 min.). Could this be the reason?

I'm going to restart with doses of Calcium buffer regardless.

The nitrites are practically non-existent though (below the lowest reading on the test kit), so I don't think they are a factor here.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
By nature, nitrItes are toxic to our critters. Where is it coming from? Have you had any deaths or stirred up the substrate?
The 1st thing I would do is a PWC, that should knock out your nitrItes and possibly bring up your calcium....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:06 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I was going to say the same thing that I would try a 25% PWC to up the calcium. What type salt do you use? Jusy be careful that sometimes a LPS coral will come down with a disease called Brown jelly disease. I actually think it is a parasite I `ve heard. Sometimes it comes from too much flow and the bubbles get damaged on the skeleton.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'll do the water change tomorrow...I recently switched from Instant Ocean to Reef Crystals (this will be the 4th water change I'll be doing with RC).

I've heard of brown jelly, and plan on researching it some tonight. Could the brown strings coming from the coral be a sign of it?

Also, I usually top off with about 3/4 a gallon of RO/DI water each day, but don't add anything else into the water with the top off. Could this be a cause or a continuing problem as well, perhaps of my low Calcium? I usually do a pwc once a month, due to the topping off with the fresh water.

Thanks again for your comments/help!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:15 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty27
I've heard of brown jelly, and plan on researching it some tonight. Could the brown strings coming from the coral be a sign of it?
I had it on a couple of my branching corals awhile back and it starts out like that but then the head starts to deterioate. If it does start to you`ll need to break off the bad head and dont leave it in your tank as it will spread. Here is a pic of by branching torch coral. Fortunately I only lost two heads as compared to the five.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0329_456.jpg (37.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0325_258.jpg (42.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0324_369.jpg (52.5 KB, 30 views)

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bubble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com