Green Bubble half inflating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Until 3-4 days ago, my green bubble was healthy and vital looking. Then one day, I noticed that one half doesn't seem to inflate fully, and remains mostly deflated. I've also noticed brown strings coming from the deflated areas. Is this a bad sign, or just part of a process these corals go through?

I've done nothing out of the routine to the tank or water, and the coral has been in the same spot since day 1 (introduced 3 months ago), in a medium to low flow area about midway in the water level. The water parameters are all at par (tested yesterday):

Ammonia - 0
Ph - 8.4
Nitrate - <10
Nitrite - <0.2
Alkalinity - 3.5
Calcium - 315
Salinity - 1.022
150w Metal Halide light

The bubbles on the left side are usually a bit more open/inflated than when this pic was taken.
img0493xi6.jpg

I'm not a reefer, but those nitrItes and low calcium might have something to do with it. I would knock out those nitrItes first. Hopefully another can give you more specific advice.

Agreed with the calcium Roka...I just realized the calcium levels are a tad bit low (315 vs. 350 min.). Could this be the reason?

I'm going to restart with doses of Calcium buffer regardless.

The nitrites are practically non-existent though (below the lowest reading on the test kit), so I don't think they are a factor here.

By nature, nitrItes are toxic to our critters. Where is it coming from? Have you had any deaths or stirred up the substrate?
The 1st thing I would do is a PWC, that should knock out your nitrItes and possibly bring up your calcium....

I was going to say the same thing that I would try a 25% PWC to up the calcium. What type salt do you use? Jusy be careful that sometimes a LPS coral will come down with a disease called Brown jelly disease. I actually think it is a parasite I `ve heard. Sometimes it comes from too much flow and the bubbles get damaged on the skeleton.

I'll do the water change tomorrow...I recently switched from Instant Ocean to Reef Crystals (this will be the 4th water change I'll be doing with RC).

I've heard of brown jelly, and plan on researching it some tonight. Could the brown strings coming from the coral be a sign of it?

Also, I usually top off with about 3/4 a gallon of RO/DI water each day, but don't add anything else into the water with the top off. Could this be a cause or a continuing problem as well, perhaps of my low Calcium? I usually do a pwc once a month, due to the topping off with the fresh water.

Thanks again for your comments/help!

salty27 said:
I've heard of brown jelly, and plan on researching it some tonight. Could the brown strings coming from the coral be a sign of it?

I had it on a couple of my branching corals awhile back and it starts out like that but then the head starts to deterioate. If it does start to you`ll need to break off the bad head and dont leave it in your tank as it will spread. Here is a pic of by branching torch coral. Fortunately I only lost two heads as compared to the five.

Attachments

• 100_0324_369.jpg
    100_0324_369.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_0325_258.jpg
    100_0325_258.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_0329_456.jpg
    100_0329_456.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom