green goniapora not doing so good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottkraft

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a green gon. it did great for 3 mo. was growing/expanding now it dying:( i learned after i got it from the LFS that it was one of the hard ones to keep. Anyway, it dying now and oozing a brownish film that my clowns are munching on. Question is should i remove it or can i leave it and let the skelly become part or the reef

90gal reef w/ fish
100lb rock
80ish lb CC (ya i want to change)
all water params are good
saline level 1.3 (ya a bit high but all coral and fish seem to prefer it there over 1.25)(more active and feed more,both inverts,fish and corals)
just got digi cam and not learned how to use yet so no pics sorry

If you think there is no chance and it is done for i would remove it so it doesn't pollute your tank. If you want to add the skeleton back in after it is gone and cleaned up that is fine.

If you think there is any chance it could come back i really suggest you read this article. It is from a reputable source and written by someone with pretty extensive experience with the coral. It will help you identify the type of goniopora you have and suggest what you might be able to feed it in order to bring it back.

Feature Article: The Successful Aquarium Culture of Goniopora Species | Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

When you get your camera working snap a picture for us. Look up some pictures of brown jelly disease to make sure that is not what is on your coral. It could be other things but you want to make sure to take care of it quickly if it is brown jelly.

TYfor the article, it does not appear to be brown jelly, i took it out and did a salt water wash on it using mini baster and put back into tank have a large bare spot on it now but no more brown on it he still not as happy as he was but he is opening up some. Doing some phyto feeding to try and help him recover.
Again TY
Scott

using the cyclops he is doing much better TY all for the help wish i knew more to return the favors.
One more question with him recovering will he cover the old skeleton area or move out ?

Coral will not reinhabit their skeleton in the sence of filling it back in over portions that have previously died. It will however eventually cover over the old skeleton laying down fresh calcium depsits to form new groth.

TY that is what i thought froom what I read from books and web but thought i would ask anyway.
Thanks again all for help
Scott

Back
Top Bottom