Green Hair Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EricL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Green hair algae problem on all rocks of my tank and on my zoos. I don't know where the phosphates are coming from. I only have 2 fish and allot of coral. My lfs advised to vodka dose everyday. I started that on Friday. Could my phosphates be coming from old ro/di filters? I just ordered them yesterday so they will be replaced. I have 50 Gallon hex with a 400 w mh.

Will my corals suffer if i turn the light off for a week?

Depends on what`s in the tank. I would think maybe 4-5 days. Some ways phosphates can get in the tank is your old filters and RO membrane. Could also come from your food. If it was me I would cut back on feeding to every other day or even every three days. I would run your lights only 3-4 hours a day. Remember it did not start over nite and it wont go away over nite. One more thing I would do is frequent PWC`s and when you draw the water out try to siphon as much algea out as you can.

I've been using NP-Biopellets for over a month. It's a form of solid vodka dosing. My nitrates have dropped to the 2 range from 50+, but my phosphates have not really dropped much yet.

My water is crystal clear (after glass scraping during pwc last weekend).

I plan on adding GFO this weekend.

yeah we got one basically on loan.. well we paid 12 dollars for him and we returned him 3 weeks later for 6... but he sure did the job!

yeah we got one basically on loan.. well we paid 12 dollars for him and we returned him 3 weeks later for 6... but he sure did the job!

If I had that option available to me when I was battling HA, I would have taken it in a heart beat.

I've seen the loaning process on some smaller regional forums. Basically a reef club where one person bought it and passes it on (at cost) to the next person needing it.

Back
Top Bottom