Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2004, 10:04 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Green Mandarin has ick?

Hi all,

We went to the LFS looking for some simple corals and ended up with a yellow tang and a green mandarin goby.

I added them both to my 29 gal that I have had up for a few months. I am using it as a QT since there was not much in it and the water is established. The tang is doing great, color is good and he is eating and swimming. I was worrried about the goby since the QT does not have any LR. I noticed last night that he had some white spots on his back.

Are there any special issues with treating this fish? I have 3 chromis, the yellow tang and the goby in the tank. The chromis were QT'ed here too but I just never moved them out. All are to go into my 75 gal with 110 lbs of LR. The 29 gal does have a couple of hitch-hiker crabs from my last batch of LR. Will they survive with any meds? I have used greenx before but it has been a long time since I had to treat a tank.

Old 01-26-2004, 04:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

As a follow up, I went to the LFS and asked what they recommended and they said cupramine. I later read something on the internet that suggested that gobies did not like copper treatments. I knew this was true for puffers and such but I am not sure what to do now.

I might try a different place on the way home to see about the greenx but I know copper would be stronger.

Any ideas?

Old 01-26-2004, 10:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I got home tonight ready to add the cupramine but the goby looks better. He looked really bad this morning but the light had not came on yet and a lot of fish look dead in the mornings.

He does have 2-3 little white spots on his back that look kind of like sand. He is trolling the bottom and the dead coral I have in the tank. He pecks at stuff but I am not sure he is finding anything. I did worry about QTing a fish that lives off pods which are not going to be present in the QT. The tang and 3 chromis don't show any signs and are eating as normal.

Is it ok to wait for more signs before dosing or should I just do it? The 4 little snails and the 3 crabs would be lost but they were a nuisance in the main tank anyway.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-26-2004, 11:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
I wouldn't do anyting just yet. First of all I see no need to medicate all 5 fish for what couldbe nothing. My mandarin displays white spots every morning but by the end of the day they are gone. I think he digs in overnite and had sand on him in the mornings. I would however, if you are sure he has ich, try hyposalinty first. Easier on all fish and probably save the inverts too. good luck, keep us posted.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the reply!

Any thoughts about the mandarin feeding in the QT/no LR tank? I have not seen it eat anything I have put in but it does pick at the rocks and the CC/sand bottom.

I have tried some formula 1 flake and some frozen brine and marine cusine.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:42 AM   #6
steve-s

Agreed with reefnewb. I don't think at this point there is cause for alarm. Mandarins are extremely resistant (but not immune) to C. irritans due to their heavy and volitile slime coat. What you are seeing may well be bits of sand. The color change you are seeing in the morning is completely normal. At night when they sleep almost all the color in the fish will fade to a pale grey. Once active again in the daytime the color will return. It's just a natural defense mechanism from night predators.

Untill you see further signs of infection, I would leave things be for now.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-27-2004, 01:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Do you have a fuge on your main display? If do grab some of the macros (espescially the spaghetti) and throw em in the QT tank. They usually have pods on em he can eat. Most mandarins who don't make it starvebecause of too mall of a tank without enough pods to support them as I am sure you already know. But this can take months for them to starve out. While I personally have never seen one take prep foods it is possible. He'll probably be just fine. Fingers crossed for you.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:25 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I am glad to say that all inhabitants are doing well and are not showing any signs of Ich.

Should I reduce the amount of time in QT for the Mandarin due to his eating habits? I see him picking at stuff but not sure if he is eating. I had heard that they are less prone to ich anyway?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2004, 11:51 AM   #9
steve-s

Are there any fish in the 75 gal at this time? If not, you could transfer only the mandarine. Be aware though that if C. irritans rears it ugly head, the other fish must remain in the QT much longer in order to rid the display of the problem. It's a hard call and definately a risk.

Be careful not to transfer things back and forth from the main tank and QT in hopes of feeding the mandarin a supply of pods. If one of the fish have a parasite, it is more than possible to transfer the problem as well.

Have you tried feeding live decapsulated brine?

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-29-2004, 09:47 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 5 yr old clown and 2 damsels in the display tank right now. QT'ing them would not be a problem but catching them would!

I have been trying differnt frozen foods along with some flake and pellets I feed the other fish. He seems to ignore them. When I feed the other fish they swarm and actively eat. He just trolls the bottom and pecks at stuff. I did cure some LR awhile back in the tank he is in and there are some hole/cave structure in my SSB. Never really seen anything though.

I will check some LFS to see about live brine shrimp. Are any live brine shrimp ok? Not sure what decapsulated brine shrimp is?

Thanks

Tags
ick, mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com