Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Green polyps dying?

Usually I target feed my corals every 3 days. I never did this to my green polyps since they were doing great. I decided to target feed them yesterday but they did not like it. They closed up and this afternoon they where still closed. Did I kill them? Sniff sniff

Old 12-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They're probably not dead. I had some die in a tank crash. You can definately tell when they die...it's not pretty. When they're disturbed they close for awhile. At one point mine closed for a few days when I trasnferred my tank. They also close in bad water conditions. Test your water and if your water is good then give them a couple days. Best of luck.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Green Star Polyps, Clove Polyps, Zoanthids or Palythoas? Which are we talking about? The only ones of the four that will take to target feeding are the large Palythoa polyps! All the others require light for nutrients only as target feeding is a waste of time for them and could potential degrade your water quality over time if continued without other filter feeders etc.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Green star polyps
Old 12-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Green Star Polyps do not require target feeding. Their health comes from their symbiotic reliance on their single called dinoflagellate, Zooxanthellae. Try placing the polyps in an are of increased water flow. This will reduce the likeliness of algae, sediment and detritus accumulating on its stolon(mat)! If stuff accumulates on their mat, they will not open up!

Tags
dyi, dying, polyp, polyps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com