Green Star polyp Coral Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sky3196

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75gal. tank that checks out with a nutrient levels, and recently we have been adding supplements to the tank such as iodine and calcium.I have owned 1 beautiful piece of star coral for about a month. Recently however, 1 week ago my father went into the local store where they had a sick star coral they said just wasn't living with their lights, and that they would give it to him for a third of the price. We purchased it, and despite some growth, it hasn't been doing great. It was in very rough condition when we bought it, but it has improved. However, I have noticed what I thought may either be aiptasia or hydroids of some sort growing in a small isolated patch on it. I'll post a few pictures and I was just wondering if I could get any ideas of what it may be. If it is aiptasia, should I immediately get it the heck out my tank? Thanks, heres the pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 106
I'm thinking hydroids on this one. Hopefully someone else will chime in. If it is them with a coral that grows so closely together I can see the hydroids stinging them causeing them not to open up.

Gsp can be hit and miss, I had a lovely colony for ages and it spread very quickly until one day it didn't open and just melted away for no apparent reason, water was good and all other corals were fine.
For some people it's really easy to keep and some people it just doesn't live long !

I'm thinking hydroids on this one. Hopefully someone else will chime in. If it is them with a coral that grows so closely together I can see the hydroids stinging them causeing them not to open up.
Thanks, I would also just like to mention the coral does look better that this during the day, I just quickly flashed on the tank lights to snap a picture late at night.

Back
Top Bottom