Green star polyp dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had it for 3 years and it was doing great! It grew more then 4x it's original size. Then one day, it quit opening up half way. I knew they can throw fits so I want worried. Today I've noticed it turning dark purple and falling apart on some parts. I was wondering if trace elements can kill them as I dose the normal amount of iodine as I have a shrimp and know it helps them molts. I do a 25% water every month

75g tank 2 yrs old
Stock: 2 clowns, one six line wrasse, two fire fish, one cleaner shrimp 4 hermit crabs, two snails
Salinity:1.22-1.25
Ph:8.3
Ammonia:under .25 ppm
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
Calcium:340 ppm
Temp:78-80
Phospate:0
Water:ro/di with reef crystal mix
KH:196.9

Hi there the only things I can see that may be causing problems are SG you say is between 1.22-1.25 that should be more stable if you're going to have it at say 1.25 then try to keep it there rather than let it fluctuate, The ammonia should be zero where about's, also your calcium is a bit on the low side I would be aiming for around The 420 Mark, last of all iodine not all corals/polyps like iodine and can cause them to melt to a degree, but don't quote me on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there the only things I can see that may be causing problems are SG you say is between 1.22-1.25 that should be more stable if you're going to have it at say 1.25 then try to keep it there rather than let it fluctuate, The ammonia should be zero where about's, also your calcium is a bit on the low side I would be aiming for around The 420 Mark, last of all iodine not all corals/polyps like iodine and can cause them to melt to a degree, but don't quote me on that.

Okay, I'll keep an eye on my sg, it usually swings like that when I turn my lights off. I'm just gonna stop dosing my trace elements and iodine for awhile and watch carefully, and see if that's the issue. I've read somewhere that iodine can kill gsp which is bad for me, cause I love the little weed. The rest of my corals are thriving, so it was just really odd for this one to just up and basically melt on half of the rock. And yeah, it's time for a water change, I'm just waiting on my salt mix to come in, so that should fix my calcium.

That's strange I've never heard of Sg changing when the lights go out, that should just stay the same in my opinion as it's only your pH that's know drop at night, and the only thing that can cause fluctuation in your SG is evaporation, or incorrect salt mixing,

Hmm, it very well could be evaporation. As i leave my light on in the sumo opposite to the light I run in the day. So that could have something to do with it.

I'd be concerned about your iodine levels since there isn't an effective way to test for it currently that is available on a hobby level. There is no reason that water changes can't keep up with the iodine needs imo.
That aside, when I see any soft coral or polyp have issues I always want to look at the alkalinity. Alk swings can have a big effect on them and can lead to quick demise at times. I'd invest in a quality alk test so you can track how the levels are in your system.
The answer to both statement at this time is large water changes. It will ensure everything is in line upon completion.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd do a 25% and see what is going on afterwards. If no changes in a day or two after, do another one.
Along with that, stop dosing the iodine. This could also be part of the problem...but with no way to test it is anyone's guess. A good rule of thumb is to not dose anything you can't test for.

Back
Top Bottom