green star polyps. HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky@3rdshift

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I bought what i was told was green star polyps. It is a purple "sheet" covered in little bumps that were before it was cut and removed from the tank covered in purple glow under a acentic blue light polyps. they closed back up upon removing from the tank.

I know they will come back out, but I am having trouble getting them in the tank. Should I attach the somehow to a rock? and how should I do this?
I seen a few in the store wrapped with a rubber band till they attach. I need a better wat b/c my rock I wanna attach them on is a large rock.

Anything else I should know about these?
thanks
ricky

You could try supergluing them to the rock or using a coral glue. Or you could try tying them down with some cotton thread. As for things you should know, well, they grow and spread pretty quickly so be sure you place them where they have room. You could even glue them to your back glass or powerheads/pumps and they will cover them. They make a great backdrop. They like a good bit of waterflow and moderate to high light. I've heard that you can dictate where they spread by aiming a powerhead at them. I can't think of anything else right now. They aren't aggressive as far as chemical warfare goes but they can become a nuisance with their grow rate. HTH

I have them laying on top of a huge base rock in my tank with a few pieces of LR rubble on the edges holding them down. will this work and how long do they usually stay closed up after moving them into the new tank?

Guess it depends on the colony itself and any trauma during move, as well as water quality. I'm definitely not Fluff or Steve-S :roll: .

I bought some 2 weeks ago, and also bought some DT's Phytoplankton. In less than 24 hours they were opened up to the max, and have almost covered the small exposed area of rock that they come on.

I have a question about mine this morning as well, but won't hijack your thread :D .

they were cut in a patch about 3 to 4inches square with a razor blade and were then lifted with a razor blade off the glass put in a bag with salt water and made a 3 hour car ride home with all the stops we made. The LFS said they would be good on the ride home.

buvaren said:
I'm definitely not Fluff or Steve-S :roll:

:?: :roll:

Give them some time Ricky. How long did you acclimate them? It may take them a few days to fully adjust to your tank. Holding them down with rubble is fine if that is working for you.

Lol, maybe I should have used a frown, instead of rolling eyes, Fluff. Just meant to say that I wish I had the knowledge you guys do, but I'd throw my 2 cents in anyhow.

Actually, I'm not very knowledgable about corals. I'm always learning. That's what keeps this hobby fun for me. When I know it all, I'll have to move onto something else I suppose. :wink:

They should be fine in a few days... When I got mine it took a while for them to open. They seem to get upset very easily. And if you have them in a high flow area it could take longer for them to open if they were used to a low flow area. They will do good in a Moderate to high flow area with good light...
What type of lighting do you have?
Like fluff says a couple dabs of superglue gel will work if you can get the lr out of the tank.

You know I wasn't real sure about aclimating corals and such, so mabsically i let it float for 15 minutes added some water from my tank, let it float another 15 and then started placing it on the rock I wanted it on.

GOOD NEWS!! It is opening up this morning. My kids are like "Whoa thats cool".

Now just waiting for it to attach over the next few days I assume?

That's to quick for corals but since star polyps are super hardy, you may get away with it. Drip acclimation is really best over a few hours time. I'm not sure the matting you have will reattach itself without your help but was it spreads, the new matting will attach to the rock.

Ok so... Superglue is safe to use to attach it with? I am going to go ahead and pull the rock I have it on and towel it off and attach it myself then. Is there a better "glue" to use?

Oh and what about nutrient requirements? should I be adding anything ro feeding them with something specific? I was so overwheelmed yesterday and this new LFS i went to i forgot to ask.

Feeding them isn't really a problem. Adding some phyto planton from time to time is fine. Super glue gel works well and can be bought at your lfs or local Walmart/Dept store. There is also a coral adhesive you can guy. I've never used it but your lfs probably sells it.

Back
Top Bottom