Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
You will need to do water changes quite often to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels low enough for the fish to tolerate. I would consider getting a product called amquel + it is a chemical method of reducing ammonia and nitrite. It will stall your cycle right now but from what you are telling me about the fish it will really need normal water quality to recover and get it's strength back to make it through the rest of the cycle.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Will the lfs take the anenome back?

Curious. How did you cycle the tank?

Hopefully all can understand why we insist folks have the tank up and running for nearly a year before an anenome is added.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have about 60lbs of live sand and about 45 of live rock. I have a protein skimmer and a dual biowheel filter I know they'll only take my anemometer back for half price. As far as cycling went the fish store people told me to let it run for a month and I brought my water in they tested it and said it was ok..
Old 02-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
If you purchased live rock It may be that there was just not enough biofiltration to handel the load from the new live stock. The other possibility is that in that month because there was no source of ammoina the bacteria have died off. Right now i would focus on getting that ammonia and nitrite level down as quickly as possible to take the stress off your fish.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #15

Will do fellas thank you. On my way to the fish store for new water
Old 02-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry Kdoo I got caught up in a long post. And didn't get back.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I think you did not cycle the tank. Check our articles section and read up on the cycling process anywhere on the net. In the process, a dead decaying organism(s) creates an ammonia source and kicks off the cycling process.

I can't see how your fish shop knew that happened if you simply set it up and "let it run for a month". If I'm right, everything in your tank could die.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 02-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
the fish store probably assumed the live rock had enough die off on it to start the cycle.
well, it's cycling now. i would try and return everything living. half price is better than a total loss and some dead creatures on your conscience.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Good advice and economics lesson.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #20

Changed over 50% of water yesterday my nitrates tested about 5ppm this morning my fish was swimming almost within an hour of the water change.. I forgot to mention about the second week in to the tank set up I got to yellow tail damsels and one died so I let him sit in there for about 4 days some one told me it would help cycle. Just givin you guys some results. I'm gonna do another 40% water change today as well..

Tags
clown

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com