Ground clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kdoo624

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I woke up this morning and 1 of my two saddle back clowns are not wanting to swim he just lays on the bottom.. My tank is a 36 gal reef aquarium I have 1 carpet anemone 1 skunk shrimp a choco chip starfish 2 black clowns and two little crabs.. I tested my water and my high range ph is: 8.4, nitrite: 1.0ppm, ammonia:..25ppm and nitrates are through the roof at 40ppm this all happened in 3 days should I do a water change ice just been pouring fresh water in when it evaporates cause the salinity is always high. Any input helps thanks

You better get to water changes. I'd say until you get those levels down. Id say upward to 50%.

Will do. Do you think the sea water from petsmart would be a good choice?

Will do. Do you think the sea water from petsmart would be a good choice?

I'm not sure, your going to be doing this allot of PWC's, Possibly every day until your levels are safe. And or your tanks is cycled.

Can you make your own ?

Yea just add fresh water and salt or is there anything I need to add to it?

Make sure you dechlorinate water, wait n hour and retest water.
Post water results then.
Your little fish is stressed probably because of the water conditions.

Is this a nrw tank? If it is did you cycle the tank? I personally would not use tap water. Any way you can get RO water.

Is this a nrw tank? If it is did you cycle the tank? I personally would not use tap water. Any way you can get RO water.

Thanks for coming in. I was getting ready to forward this to you.
I was wondering about RO Water. I going to start a thread on RO/DI Water.

The tank has been running since Christmas my live stock has only been in there for about three weeks. The tank went through diatoms and then I added fish. I don't know if that cycled enough or not. I have been getting fresh water from the pet store

It'd doesn't look like the tank is cycled. Melosu is wondering if you have a RO Unit.

It may be wise to invest in 1.

I think you are going to be doing many PWC's ?

You will need to do water changes quite often to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels low enough for the fish to tolerate. I would consider getting a product called amquel + it is a chemical method of reducing ammonia and nitrite. It will stall your cycle right now but from what you are telling me about the fish it will really need normal water quality to recover and get it's strength back to make it through the rest of the cycle.

Will the lfs take the anenome back?

Curious. How did you cycle the tank?

Hopefully all can understand why we insist folks have the tank up and running for nearly a year before an anenome is added.

I have about 60lbs of live sand and about 45 of live rock. I have a protein skimmer and a dual biowheel filter I know they'll only take my anemometer back for half price. As far as cycling went the fish store people told me to let it run for a month and I brought my water in they tested it and said it was ok..

If you purchased live rock It may be that there was just not enough biofiltration to handel the load from the new live stock. The other possibility is that in that month because there was no source of ammoina the bacteria have died off. Right now i would focus on getting that ammonia and nitrite level down as quickly as possible to take the stress off your fish.

Will do fellas thank you. On my way to the fish store for new water

I think you did not cycle the tank. Check our articles section and read up on the cycling process anywhere on the net. In the process, a dead decaying organism(s) creates an ammonia source and kicks off the cycling process.

I can't see how your fish shop knew that happened if you simply set it up and "let it run for a month". If I'm right, everything in your tank could die.

the fish store probably assumed the live rock had enough die off on it to start the cycle.
well, it's cycling now. i would try and return everything living. half price is better than a total loss and some dead creatures on your conscience.

Changed over 50% of water yesterday my nitrates tested about 5ppm this morning my fish was swimming almost within an hour of the water change.. I forgot to mention about the second week in to the tank set up I got to yellow tail damsels and one died so I let him sit in there for about 4 days some one told me it would help cycle. Just givin you guys some results. I'm gonna do another 40% water change today as well..

Back
Top Bottom