Grouper / Cleaner Wrasse compatability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
My father has a 150 gal tank with three fish in it, my 5 year old 12" panther grouper, a 10" spotted grouper, and a 10" coney grouper.

He feeds the live shrimp from a local bait and tackle shop, and the fish love them....live, saltwater shrimp are of course much better for them than the rotten ones from the grocery store, and anything beats goldfish, so this has been their diet for about 5 years. I am afraid though that the shrimp have brought lice or some other parasite into the tank that is causeing the fish to itch themselves.

Now I gave the panther grouper a freshwater bath on time when I got him, and he didnt like that very much, but stuff did drop off of him in the bucket.....this was 5 years ago when he was 4 inches long......Im not going to try this with his size now.

The fish constantly itch themselves on the rocks so he says, and asked me if he could put a cleaner wrasse that he saw at the LFS in the tank to eat the parasites. The guys at the LFS told him to go for it, but he wanted to ask me first. My father lives in another town, so I havent seen the fish first hand, and I am sure they are in no immediate danger, just a little uncomfortable perhaps.

Would this work, or would the wrasse simply be another meal? They are some VERY hungry boys.

if its a all fish only tank i would cosider using culpramine to kill the parasite(posibly ich) if that is what the problem is,freshwater dips wont go far sinch thier are a few fish involved and the parasite would also be in the tank just to reinfect them all,cleaner wrasses will help with symptoms but not cure a thing (even if it/they dont get eaten)

Back
Top Bottom