guarlic guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a new maroon clown fish a 7 days ago.Thats the one i told you guys a couple days ago.She got that white spot on the side.It does not look like ich.Its more like something alse.But anyway now she stoped eating.I have her in quarantine tank.What can i do to convince her to eat?Every body is talking about guarlic guard.I bought one.But when i put some flakes in it they guarlic just make them almost gone.frozen brine shrimps they seem to spread in that tea spoon with garlic and theres nothing to put in unles you throw all that spoon with garlic and shrimps.What i am doing wrong?What is the right food and right way to do it.Please heip.Thanks.

Try it on dry seaweed (Nori) or dry the brine shrimp in a paper towel then soak it in the garlic. When I see any fish scratch it's self, I put it directly in the water a little at a time (once a day) and on the food. If it is Ich, moving the fish to a quarantine tank causes more stress that lowers it's immune system. IMO garlic extreme works best.

You're only supposed to use a couple drops of Garlic Guard. Frozen brine are not very nutritious unless they have been fortified (gut loaded) before being frozen. Frozen Mysis shrimp would be better.

Is your QT tank cycled? Keep checking the water parameters and be prepared with water changes. I have found that pristine water conditions help fish fight off many diseases. Daily water changes of 20% in a QT tank are helpful in that regard.

I agree with Cmor, I put a few drops of the garlic guard (there are directions on the container about drops vs. gallons) in when I am thawing out my frozen, I also add Zoe and Selcon for added nutrient's.

...If it is Ich, moving the fish to a quarantine tank causes more stress that lowers it's immune system. IMO garlic extreme works best.

Can't agree with this and not comment on it in case someone else comes by and reads this thread.

Garlic will not cure ich. And proven methods to kill off ich (hyposalinity, copper) are very bad to carry out in the main tank if you have anything but a fish only system. Yes... moving a fish to a QT will stress it, but the alternative is a long drawn out stressful life for it while it deals with attack after attack of ich. Unless it dies in which it's not too stressed at that point. It's kind of like not taking a person with a heart attack to the hospital because they stress out around doctors and stress isn't good for their heart.

To the original poster... what size quarantine tank? If it's only a 10g or so, don't use more than a drop of the garlic with whatever frozen food you use. I've found more than that in a 10g seems to confuse the fish. (Don't attempt using it with flake. Major mess!) Agree with mysis.

Last edited:
If a fish has ich, then the system is infected. Removing the fish to treat it is like giving a dog a flea bath, but not treating it's bedding. When the affected fish is cured and it's placed into the same system it will get ich again if it survives.

From the label of Garlic Xtreme "If fish are not eating, Garlic Xtreme maybe also added to the aquarium at the rate of 1 drop per 10 gallons." I used a 1 ounce bottle to ward off a ich attach in a 180 gallon aquarium. A few weeks later after adding new fish it started again. Unable to find any Garlic Xtreme at any LFS I used Garlic Guard (8.5 fl oz) with little change. I then returned to Garlic Xtreme with success.

The label on the Garlic Guard states "Guaranteed Analysis (Amounts per 1 g (gallon ?)) Garlic extract ......10 mg."

The label on the Garlic Xtreme states "99% Allium Sativum Extract".

While it has been stated many times on this site Garlic Will not cure ich. IMO if you can catch it early enough, Garlic Xtreme will boost the immune systems of the fish, allowing them to survive it's affects.

Ezy33 I agree 110%, garlic has not been proven to cure ich. I have read that is can help to boost the immune systems of the fish. I soak all my frozen with garlic guard, Zoe and Selcon.

If a fish has ich, then the system is infected. Removing the fish to treat it is like giving a dog a flea bath, but not treating it's bedding. When the affected fish is cured and it's placed into the same system it will get ich again if it survives.

You are correct. That's why you need to remove ALL fish from the main system, put them in a QT, and treat them to remove the parasites that are on the fish, either with hyposalinity or copper meds. While that is happening, you let your main system stay fishless for 8 weeks. Without fish host, the ich parasite die and you main system is ich free after that 8 weeks.

From the label of Garlic Xtreme "If fish are not eating, Garlic Xtreme maybe also added to the aquarium at the rate of 1 drop per 10 gallons." I used a 1 ounce bottle to ward off a ich attach in a 180 gallon aquarium.
"Warding off an attack" is not the same as ridding yourself of ich. The life cycle of the parasite comes and goes over a 7-10 day period. That's why many folks often think they've rid themselves of it, when in reality they're just in between reproduction stages of the little bugger.

A few weeks later after adding new fish it started again.

As should be expected.

Unable to find any Garlic Xtreme at any LFS I used Garlic Guard (8.5 fl oz) with little change. I then returned to Garlic Xtreme with success.

The label on the Garlic Guard states "Guaranteed Analysis (Amounts per 1 g (gallon ?)) Garlic extract ......10 mg."

The label on the Garlic Xtreme states "99% Allium Sativum Extract".
"garlic extract" and "allium sativum extract" are one in the same. One may be more concentrated than the other, but neither "cure" ich.

While it has been stated many times on this site Garlic Will not cure ich. IMO if you can catch it early enough, Garlic Xtreme will boost the immune systems of the fish, allowing them to survive it's affects.
Survive... maybe. In your case, obviously they did. Cure it... no. It's still in your system. You even point that out in your first paragraph. Why not treat it properly and be rid of it for good?

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Well i thought I would chime in on this discussion as well. Early on in my 75 gal My hippo tang defiantly got a pretty bad ich outbreak (three different times to be exact) and in my case soaking his food in garlic and selcon did something because I havent saw a sign of ich since and it has been 5 months since the last outbreak. Just thought I would share my story, even though I know most people dont believe garlic will work.

That does not mean that garlic killed the ick. It just means that it boosted your fish`s immune system. IMO garlic does not kill ick. I know many folks that soaked their food in garlic and added garlic to the tank that it did not get rid of the ick.

Ok back to artur. How are things going now. Have you tried mysis shrimp yet? Keep us informed.

It may not work in all cases, but i havent lost a fish to date since my first loss in the first week and i am nearing 7 months or so in. I keep pristine water conditions, I soak in garlic and selcon and I believe imo that doing those three things will keep you fish healthy unless the case of ick is extreme.

You are entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. I understand what you are saying but in my 10 + yrs I`ve never seen those results. JMO

I guess in many ways every situation is unique and every fish is different. Hypo may be necessary for some fish and not others, garlic may keep the immune system of some fish strong enough for you to never know the parasite exists in your tank. In some cases I also imagine that no matter what you do, use garlic or hypo, that in some cases certain fish are not going to make it anyway. In my short experience Garlic seemed to really do wonderful things (along with selcon and pristine water), but that could really only mean I have a pretty tough blue hippo tang, lol.

my.maroon doing o.k.I tried mysis shrimp but she still refuse to eat.At the store they said she was wild cought.So i bought live brine shrimps.She is crazy about them.When i put in the tank live and frozen brine shrimps she only eats live.I have to convince her to it frozen to while i have her in Q.T.Any sugestions?And i still trying to heal her.That was that not so clear picture remember?It is the white spot.First it was coming like undernith the skin now is more like a hole.It must be some kind of fungus..But the most important is that she sterted eating.Right?Now she will be strong and ready to fight!!!!!!!!!:uzi:

Artur, if she only eats "live" try adding a little more water flow in the QT. Maybe if they "bounce" around more, she may think they are live. Also, what size it your QT? I have read that garlic can be very strong and cloud the water so that the fish don't really know where the food is. Try diluting it. I am reading my Kent's Garlic Xtreme (I ran out of garlic guard, and the LFS only had this) and it says 1 drop per 10G. Check your directions and follow that.
+++I also still want to repeat what Mike said, this does not cure ich, but studies have shown, fish treated with garlic were less prone to infection/reinfection.+++

Also, brine shrimp do not have much nutrition. Try keeping the brine in a seperate container and feed them with Selcon or Zoe to gut load them with vitamins before feeding them to your fish.

I`ve had decent results with pimafix. If you do deem it fungal then I would check it out

Back
Top Bottom