Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #51
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I dont know if this has been covered but you dont have any of your fish picking on them do you? That`s what caused mine to do that yrs ago. Come to find out I had two angels that were picking on them.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #52
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

I don't think either are of the clowns are picking at it, but they were harassing the LPS.

I just got home and looked... lights are set at 20% again today... LPS still look about the same (awful), 1 zoa colony looks like it is dead (it is turning white), and my large colony is completely closed up except 2 polyps. Being that the zoas have started to be affected, I don't think it is the clown harassment that is causing it. Maybe I cooked em? I had the lights at around 50 or 60% I think for the first several days. I think I am just going to leave the lights at 20% for awhile and see what happens. I don't know what else to do. I guess I can drop them lower, but 20% appears awfully dim. 10% is just a few notches above moonlight.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #53
Giant Clam Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

At this point I don't think it will hurt to try. I don't think that you could have cooked them at half power...they would have shown signs of recovery...atleast I would believe.

I would be less worried about the zoas, as for whatever reason some people just can't get them to do well. I am quite possibly one of them, only minor success as my improvement with them. But since all the corals in the tank are struggling...probably tied together. Might be time to run some carbon as well to see if that helps.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #54
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

I started running carbon last night. Maybe that will help.

At what point should I take the dead (or maybe still dying?) zoa colony out? I don't want it to start rotting... but at the same time I have no idea if it is actually dead or just closed up. This is the third full day of it not opening at all.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
I started running carbon last night. Maybe that will help.

At what point should I take the dead (or maybe still dying?) zoa colony out? I don't want it to start rotting... but at the same time I have no idea if it is actually dead or just closed up. This is the third full day of it not opening at all.
Dont take it out yet, 3 days isnt too much. Thats bad that it isnt opening, but it definitly isnt dead yet IMO. once my toadstool closed for 4-5 days. Turns out it was just shedding
Old 04-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #56
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
If you've cooked the LPS initially, you wouldn't see the result of that until days later. Then it would take months for them to recover.
I did this changing bulbs in my halide fixtures a few years ago. I went from year old lamps to brand new lamps in the time it took to install them. Days went by and then my corals all started to wilt, or close up, or brown out, or melt, depending on the coral.
It took about a month before I saw any signs of recovery.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #57
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

hmm Doug that would kind of fall right into line with what I saw. They looked amazing for the first few days.

I will say that after 2 days of running the lights now at 20%, things might be a bit better. The large zoa colony was at least partially open today, which is encouraging. The other zoa colony, and the LPS both look about the same, but at least not worse... for several straight days I was seeing a decline in their appearance every day. Daisies and 3d zoa colony are still looking healthy. Hopefully I have at least curbed the advance of the problem, and it is encouraging to know that my LPS may yet survive.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #58
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

Day 4 of subdued lighting: The large zoa colony is almost all the way back open. The frogspawn is not open, but it looks a heck of a lot better than it did earlier in the week. The hammer and other zoa colony are both still closed up tight. Signs of improvement are encouraging though!
Old 04-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad things are looking up! Those sols pack a lot of punch.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #60
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

Things are definitely looking a lot better. The frogspawn is continuing to extend more and more. I see signs of my 1 zoa colony starting to open again (though not open yet, they are not clinched tight like before). That just leaves the hammer, which looks awful still, but I can still see green tentacles down deep in it, so I am just gonna leave it and see what happens.

Thanks all for helping me sort this out. Hopefully the crisis is over

Tags
coral, corals, frog, frogs, frogspawn, hammer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com