Hammer Coral / Brown Jelly Questions/Treatment in Progress...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beebeelb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there everyone... I got a green hammer coral as a gift - It was doing good for about a day, then I noticed that one end was shriveling up and being covered by a white film. I syphoned it off and saw the brown stringy stuff and started doing searches. It appears to be Brown Jelly disease. I did a fresh water dip with Lugols Iodine. for about 5 minutes and sucked off as much of the damaged area as I could. I returned it to the tank and has been about 2 hours since and it has opened back up with the exception of some still ailing areas. My question is two fold. How long should I wait to see improvement before I decide to take further measures? And also since it did seem to spread to the other two heads if I decide to have my husband break out the dremel is there any good pics or instructions on fragging a hammer coral? I read some people say in the case of an infection to just cut right through the flesh to remove the diseased portions and then iodine dip them. I would really hate to lose the rest of this coral as it would be the last. I did make a concentrated iodine solution and use the turkey baster to shoot it right at the coral which I thought might help without the stress of the dip.

I just want to react quickly enough without being hasty and over reacting...

My specs are
12g Nano
temp: steady 77
my ph was 8.0 yesterday and I dosed Super KH Buffer
Nitrites and Amm. 0
and Nitrates <10 ppm
Sal 1.022
Some pics taken with my phone was the best I could do... I hope it helps!
Hammer Coral Dying - a set on Flickr

I think that covers it. I have read many threads but it seemed necessary to get more specific as it seems I can still save this beauty.

Professional aquarists are reporting much better non-toxic results using ReVive instead of iodine for coral treatments. You mention "other heads" so I assume this is a branching Hammer? You can cut the skeleton anywhere below the tissue margins with sharp shears or a dremel (most of the time they are brittle enough to snap off). Give yourself some length so the coral can be remounted easily. If only a couple heads retain brown jelly then they can be separated and dipped. Expect at least 48hrs. before seeing any polyp extension once returned to the main display.

I agree with James. If this is a branching hammer than just snap the bad heads off. I`m not familar with the product he`s talking about but he should know.

Her picture shows an Euphyllia Ancora Hammer. I believe the branching Hammer is the Euphyllia Parancora Hammer

Yes this is not branching... i think they call it a wall type but when I got it - was already at the three separate ends of the skeleton that you see in the picture but appeared to be healthy. It's been over 24hrs scince I did the Lugols dip and the polyps are plump but I still see a small amount of goo but nothing like before. I will go to the LFS and look for ReVive but I think they pretty much only carry Kent products... I'm hoping that maybe the one dip killed off all the pathogens and the coral is on it's way back... but I am watching it closely and really appreciate the feedback... I hate to have to frag it because it's not the branching kind and it would probably do more harm than good....

One more thing I caught, you said "I did make a concentrated iodine solution and use the turkey baster to shoot it right at the coral which I thought might help without the stress of the dip."
Please don't just shoot iodine directly into your tank without testing how high a concentration is already in your tank. You could end up killing everything in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom