Happier pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFreak1961

Aquarium Advice Freak
Moved Gorg and Chili to my QT and they are much happier
away from the Angel, blooming all the time Yeah! Do they look
healthy to you experts out there? I'm so glad they have opened
up.:)

Attachments

• 101_1416.jpg
    101_1416.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 101_1417.jpg
    101_1417.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 74
i'm no non-photosynthetic coral expert, but i would start a phytoplankton drip on that QT tank. the only way they get nutrition is from the water column. we definitely don't have naturally occurring plankton blooms in our closed systems, and especially not in QT tanks.
the polyps are extended so they can capture food.

I had been feeding the dry plankton and they both seem
to really be happy now. I keep that in there a couple of
times a day and my star likes it too in a little cup for
about an hour.

I thought he was dead the other day and I pulled him out and
laid him on top of the tank because he hadn't budged all day
and was covered in sand.

That sucker crawled back in and is still alive today!!
He had probably been exposed an hour. We'll see how long
he hangs on now

you'll know when a starfish dies. it disintegrates. what kind of star is it? starfish don't eat plankton as far as i know.
i am not sure about the dried phytoplankton. did we talk about these corals before? how long did you have them and have you seen any growth from them?

Chocolate Chip, LFS lady told me to put the dry plankton in water in a cup
and let it sit in there about an hour and I don't know any better. What is a
good plankton for me to use. I have had the chili coral for a few months, my
toadstool and colt are goners. Chili is not extended right now nor is the Gorg.
I have had the light on all day long. Wonder if that is too much. I have regular
flourescent bulb but it is very bright in there 20 gal with koralia 1 powerhead
seaclone skimming and whisper outside filter. Salinity is 1.026, nitrates 5
ph 8.45, temp 78 all the time. Do I need another hood?

CC stars eat a variety of foods if i'm not mistaken. i think they will eat meaty foods and algae. i would try what you are feeding your fish, nori sheets, pelletized foods, even small pieces of chopped fish.

the chili coral and gorgonain are both non photosynthetic. they get no nutrition from the light. i would focus more on putting some food in the water column for them. live phytoplankton is what i would use.
they need to be in an area of intermittent medium to strong flow also. you might want to add a 2nd power head.
if you have no photosynthetic creatures in that QT, then you don't have any reason to turn the light on. see if when you have the light off, they extend polyps. if in fact they can "see" the light, then you want to have it off when you feed them, at least.

toadstools and colt corals are another story. they do require good lighting and are not reliant on nutrients in the water column. i don't know your system very well, so i can't make a guess on why they died.
what kind of lighting do you have over the main tank?

Oh I feed the Star some of all that stuff too. Loves algae
sheets and frozen shrimp pieces. My long tentacle nem loves
a piece of thawed frozen shrimp.
I have T5 lights on main tank. Seems to work fine for them.
I haven't had any loss of life in a long time. I feed marine snow
too for my rics and gorg and chili. My long tentacle has sorta
wedged itself down in the rocks. Hasn't moved in weeks. Must
be satisfied. I wish the background on the tank was real too.
What is that red looking algae mess at sand bed. I hate to stir
it up.

Attachments

• 101_1408.jpg
    101_1408.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 71
the little bits of red right in the very front? it could be cyanobacteria, or it could be coralline algae.
when you stir it up, does it come up easily? is it stringy, and soft? if so, it's cyanobacteria. it's a byproduct of excessive nutrients. it usually comes from overfeeding, not enough water changes, detritus buildups...

Keep a real close eye out on the CC star. They are not reef safe and will destroy certain types of corals.

May I ask what name you purchased the gorgonian under (second pic)? I assume purple frilly, purple plume, purple feather or something similar?

Back
Top Bottom