Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2003, 05:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New here...watching with you...

Hi....I have a cycled 72 gallon bow front. I have some snails and crabs and 1 cardinal fish, 1 royal gramma, 1 fire goby and 1 domino damsel. I did not pay close enough attention to the condition of the gramma when he was chosen from the pet store. They told me it was okay to put them in the tank w/o quarantine....as they were SURE they were fine...anyhoo the very next day I see signs of ick...I waited as all tests came out fine...amonia etc. Long story short....all fish are in 10gal quarantine with no LR and added recommended dose of copper sulfate. I am reading here that they should be in the tank with proper levels for at least 3 weeks. Will the ick that is left in my main tank attack my snails and crabs and live rock? How long will it take before the ick is out of the main tank so I know it's safe to add my fish back?...How can I be sure?
TIA!!!!
Lisa

Old 06-11-2003, 06:59 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Will the ick that is left in my main tank attack my snails and crabs and live rock?
No, ick needs a fish host.

Quote:
How long will it take before the ick is out of the main tank so I know it's safe to add my fish back?...
Approx 3 weeks. The life cycle is about 8 days to insure that all stages have had time to die off, 3 weeks is recommended.

Quote:
How can I be sure?
Increase the temp to 84*F while there are no fish in there and the elevated temp should increase the metabolism of the parasite.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 08:50 PM   #13

Thank you Kevin for such a quick reply! Is it okay to elevate the temp with the snails and crabs in the tank? I am assuming yes since I did mention that they are in the main tank. Should I start raising temp in the main tank gradually and over what period of time to get to 84F?
Thank you again!!!
Old 06-11-2003, 08:55 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I would raise it by 1* per day. btw, 84 isn't too high for the fish or the inverts, it is actually the average temp of the tropical reef where our animals come from, just make sure they are acclimated to the new temp slowly.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 09:25 AM   #15

I used the Herbal Ich Attack... read on, not good!

I would not recomend this stuff. It seems to pollute the whole tank with a brown green appearance. It smells of garlic and seems to have chopped up seaweed in it as well and who knows what else.
My moshrooms started to shrink up and have not yet recovered. I lost my Achielles Tang who put up a good fight to the end with his bout of ich. Two days latter my two Seabae Clowns died. They to put up a good struggel with ich as well. Three fish within one week, I stopped the Ich Attack before I finished the recommended days of treatment. I guess I'll have to set up a QT Tank the next time my fish get ich.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Richard-

I used the Kordon Herbal medication on my firefish (who had ich) and it worked wonders. The product comes with very detailed instructions that is extremely newbie friendly.

In short, I would recommend it without a doubt.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:27 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to gucci2 Send a message via Yahoo to gucci2
I had a similar problem and best thing I ever did was get a UV sterilizer. 15watt on a 55gallon tank.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:07 PM   #18

Hi...I was posting to see if you had an update on your ick problem...THANKS!
Lisa
Old 06-20-2003, 02:13 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hear putting a cleaner shrimp will chomp down on most parasites but I dont know that for a fact.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:45 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would be skeptical of this product only because the constituents are not listed.
Can anyone who has a bottle list the ingredients?
As training to be a ND, I should be at least vaguely familiar with some of them.

Herbal products are usually not too selective, but can be even more effective than pharmacuticals. If it will kill the ich, it will likely kill the beneficial bacteria as well,
something tea tree oil would likely do.

Therefore, I wouldn't use it in a main tank, but would use this product before
using a copper or formaldehyde based treatment in the QT.

As for ich, I've heard that by the time you can see it on the fish, medications are usually not too effective anyways for saving the life of the fish; you may
have to resort to fresh water dips. Sorry about the loss of your fish.

Tags
attack, ich, ich attack

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com