Has anyone used eSHa oodinex ich treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mooney0086

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
Has anyone had any experience with oodinex?
I'm pretty sure it's killed my hammer coral.
As it died after I used it any my water was perfect.
It said it was reef safe.

Anyone know this product?
Thanks

The only thing I have used that works is Hypo salinity and copper. Those snake oils just dont work. IMO if it`s reef safe then it`s not going to work.

ethacridine lactate
proflavine
malachite green
mathylene blue

I think that's right

It might of slightly, or the ich just did it's life cycle and fell off anyway.
It's not completely gone though.

But it did kill 2 hard corals so wouldn't recommend using if you had any.

Yeah I wouldn't want to kill anything in the tank. I'm just watching my tang closely and feeding her lots (like 5 times a day). She is the only one with it, spots come and go. I've killed fish before stressing them out with qt method, so I thought I would try it this way first. Also put a uv light in there as well, in the dt.

Proflavine is toxic and carcinogenic in small amounts to humans, possibly something similar when in contact with corals? Who knows.

Apparently some corals are more sensitive to ethicridine lactate than others, this is probably what killed your coral.

I am using this treatment at the moment for white spot and velvet, first day dose still but all infected fish look better already! I have a branching hammer coral and looks fine as do all other corals, sorry for the loss as this is my favourite coral too, I'll keep everyone posted after full treatment. May I add after alot of research I believe and airstone is crucial for this treatment as it strips oxygen from tank and this is not explained in the instructions!

I am using this treatment at the moment for white spot and velvet, first day dose still but all infected fish look better already! I have a branching hammer coral and looks fine as do all other corals, sorry for the loss as this is my favourite coral too, I'll keep everyone posted after full treatment. May I add after alot of research I believe and airstone is crucial for this treatment as it strips oxygen from tank and this is not explained in the instructions!

A couple things to keep in mind. 1) After the parasite is on the fish for a few days it will fall off giving the aquarist the impression that they are controlling the situation. In reallity the parasite is falling to the substrate and then over 200 little ones called tomites will come from each one. They come back with a vengence making the aquarist wonder what happened. About the only way you are going to get this under control is to QT and treat. The main tank will need to go fishless for 8 weeks to break the life cycle of the parasite.
2) The aeration of a tank is much better done by pointing slightly up a PH to the surface. Surface aggitation is how you aerate a SW tank. Only the little bit of bubbles poping at the surface is what the airstone gives you. You are getting 10 times more aeration with a PH pointed to the surface. Just wanted to clear up a few points.

Thanks I am doing this with PH aswell maybe i should have added that in the post :), also I am aware of tomites and the cycle of ich, I have a oversized UV to hopefully disrupt the make up of the tomites so they have trouble reproducing, I am feeding garlic soaked food to help immunity of fish, after the treatment i will be doing large water changes also siphoning gravel, I'm not relying on oodinex to fully cure ich but hopefully contribute and buy me sometime this is all i can do as I dont have a quarantine.(Mistake I know!)

If you or anyone else has any other suggestions to my situation please please throw your posts at me!

Thanks again!

Morning of second day before treatment, ich and velvet seem to be clearing alot however fish don't seem to be them selves (irritated) wonder if it's just from the ich fighting back or the infections being treated. Applied second dose, again I'll give an update later

So coming to the end of day 2 treatment things looking good regarding ich and velvet, not sure if feeding the garlic has helped with that (search for my other thread of treating ich in reef with no quarantine, some good opinions on garlic) however main thing is fish are looking loads better and acting more themselves, again I'll update on day three :)

Back
Top Bottom