Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Has my fish lost it's tail?

I got a blue spotted jawfish about 5 months ago, he was little but not shy. My tank was not very populated at the time so he was very comfortable free swimming. Now that I have added a few more fish and some I had to add at the same time. I noticed that the jawfish became very stressed out over the new situation. He lost some of his color and he became very withdrawn. Some of his color has started to come back, but I happened to notice yesturday and again today when I was feeding, he swam out of his hole and he has no tail fin at all. WHATS WITH THAT?

Old 03-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
Possibly another fish you added.. saw wiggling and then saw food lol.. regardless if it was bigger or not..

Old 03-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

He's always in his hole (tunnel). I don't have anything in my tank that would be in there with him. Is this common with jawfish if they don't get out of there hole and swim? Is there some kind of illness or parisite that would cause him to loose is tail? And will it regrow?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
from my understanding it should.. ive personally never heard of a disease like that other than finrot.. which i believe is just freshwater? id let someone else chime in on that... is it possible to post up some pictures?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Yes the tail will grow back. You`ll need to find out why though. Other fish or fin and tail rot.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
The tail should grow back as long as it's just the fin part and not the "root" of the tail (sorry, I can't think of what that part is called). Regardless, you should keep pristine water conditions.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, it is just the fin.
My nitrates have been higher than I like since I added the new fish (20 -40). I do 25% PWC every two weeks, cal and mag was low for awhile but it's back up, all the other numbers are great. And I check for EVERYTHING twice a week (my husband thinks I'm over protective of my fish). So I think I'm ok there unless it's the nitrates. I wouldn't think it could be another fish as much as he stays in his hole, or could it?

LAST THING,
What is fin and tail rot?
Old 03-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

FAQ: Diseases

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Above advice is great ! But one thing I would like to add is check at lights out for hitchikers . We had a couple crabs making snacks on my cleaner shrimps at at 30 bucks it was TICKING me off big time he also grabed my fire fish and ripped his tail off ... I found one crab , 2 months later I found I assume his wife ! She was pregnant so I assume I got her out soon enough as I have seen none since .. You could have a crab or any other number of hitchikers in your tank .. with the crab being the most likely .. The other thing is the tail will grow back as others have said but look for the unwanted ones ! Use a flash light with a red lense or red bulb to see them .. It gives you only a couple seconds to get a glimps but it will give you knowledge if you have one , this may take hours, days ,weeks or even months to find it if you have one .. GL HTH

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com