Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Have they got whitespot/ich/velvet???

I noticed a few white spots on the body of my powder blue tang last week. I couldnt tell if they were spots of just bubbles (my skimmer produces a fair amount of tiny bubbles). I then noticed some other white spots on the fins of other fish.
I have put some treatment in the water that is safe for reef inhabitants and have turned off the skimmer. That was 4 days ago now. The powder blue now seems to hover in the corner of the tank, he never used to do that. He is eating well and the spots seem to have gone, but he looks like he has dry skin. Sounds silly, but his skin has little white patches.
Am I looking at setting up a quarantine tank?? And treating all the fish with copper? If so, how on earth do you catch the fish??

I understand that it will take some time to clear from the tank if it is ich etc..

Old 11-30-2005, 10:39 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Yes Powder Blue`s are ick magnets. You will need to have a QT and treat. What size tank do you have?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:24 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
He is eating well and the spots seem to have gone,
Ick will appear, then relase from the fish and swim and multiply in the water, I believe. Even thought the spots on the fish are gone, they're still there most likely.

Quote:
I understand that it will take some time to clear from the tank if it is ich etc..
Yep 6 - 8 weeks without fish in the main for the nasties to die off in the main.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Autin is right . for every one that falls off to the ground 200 tomites (small fry) weill be released into the main tank. Even though it seems they are gonw, They will come back and ussually with a vengence. Sorry but take precaution.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Syn6644
If you don't want to take down all of your rockwork...

You can use a DIY fishtrap using an inverted 2 litre bottle, which works wonders (be patient with this), or if that doesn't work, you can grab a couple of friends and some nets and see if you can't get them that way... I prefer the bottle method to nets though..

Or you can take down your rockwork if there isn't a lot of coral or anything that will perish, and catch them that way. The fish don't know where to hide anymore, and it'll be a lot easier to catch them. Good luck!
1 Bi-color Blenny
1 Scissortail
Several hermits
Several snails
2xSmall Brittle Stars
1xFrogspawn, 1xStarburst
2 PHs
Aqua C skimmer
2x96 watt Current CF
Syn6644 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich, velvet, whitespot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com