Hawaiian Feather Duster Exiting Tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dreamerslegacy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone!

I have a big Hawaiian Feather Duster I have had him for about 3 years and for the last 24 hours he has been trying to climbing out of his tube which is about 7 or 8 inches long. I dont know why he is climbing out he has room to grown longer he is in the sub strait his feathers are perfect, he has never popped his head. He has about 3/4 of his body out of the tube and is moving around...

Any Ideas? He is one of my most favorite creatures in my reef!

Here's what he is doing...

img_1634180_0_5083f9e3d559d0bb309e1bab6bbe8755.jpg

He/ she is completely out of the tube now and just squirming around... what the heck now? Is anyone reading this? seems like alot of other people posting on other questions but not mine :( HELP PLEASE lol...

Phoenix

Oh no!! :( i do not know much about feather dusters.. Well i know nothing about them at all.. Could you have blocked the exit?

Feather dusters come out of their tubes for one of two reasons

One- they are unhappy with their current spot and go out to find a new place and then grow a new tube (could be lighting or flow problem, or being bugged by fish)

Two- this is also how they "reproduce" the feather duster drops its crown and goes off to build a new tube and another worm in the tube then produces a crown

dreamerslegacy said:
Yeah he got out I was hoping that he was going to build a new tube but he died today :( Im so sad!

Before you pull the tube out of the tank make sure there isn't another worm in there! Feel the tube for movement or for something in it. I had this happen and within two week another worm appeared and started growing a crown

Mine sat "empty" for a month and then one day there were little feathers peeking out. We thought it was dead but I left the tube in because I liked it. I was glad I didn't throw it out!

FlopNewsom said:
Mine sat "empty" for a month and then one day there were little feathers peeking out. We thought it was dead but I left the tube in because I liked it. I was glad I didn't throw it out!

Yep. Feather duster tube are like the gifts that keep on giving!

Mine was empty I could see all the way through it... It was a real bummer! it was huge Hawaiian too I think it was 8" across the feathers! It never popped its top in all the years I had it... It was just plain weird. Nothing in my tank had changed flow or any other way maybe it was just his time to go!

Feather dusters regenerate. I have it happen at my work all the time. We don't remove empty shells for months and most of the time a new worm emerges. Not a guarantee but its worth leaving for at least a little while.

Back
Top Bottom