heat treatment for ich ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melorse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi guys have a reef tank with ich and was told raiseing the tempreture for 3 or more days to 86 degress should halt the ich from reproduceing and clear my tank of infaction is this true or fiction ? so far it hit 86 and fish are still fine my coral doesnt look to impressed but also still alive along with shrimp and such im hopeing this is not a lie and fact since i dont have a qt tank and i cant treat with copper too many invertabrates in my tank to do so :confused:

Heat only works for freshwater only. S-l-o-w-l-y lower that temperature back down to 78-80 degrees - your fish will like you better. Your coral may be a casualty though.

Only sure fire way to beat ich (saltwater) is either copper based medications or hyposalinity - both of which need to be carried out in a quarantine tank. Any treatment that kills ich will kill corals.

hmm why is tempreture rasing not effective against marine ich if it is vs fresh i wounder

well thanks for the help guys i shifted my clowns to a quarantine tank and started the para cure much to my dislike so far seams like the infection has slowed but im still seeing the parasite reatching after the droping off phase so im uncertian if the copper treatment is working yet ??

I also was told to increase the heat and use garlic...it seemed to work, but then another fish got really sick with it...not sure if it will be able to make it...we also have too many inverts, and can't quarantine the sick fist...I think it will shock it too much.

...and can't quarantine the sick fist...I think it will shock it too much.

Someone here once likened that to not taking someone who has cancer to the hospital because it might make them uncomfortable.

Treating ich is a pain, but you really only have two choices - either treat it, or don't. And treating it means either putting it in a quarantine tank, or killing everything except the fish in your main tank. Anything else is just crossing your fingers and hoping your fish stay strong.

Back
Top Bottom