Heavy Breathing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jones1483

Aquarium Advice Activist
I re-arranged the rock work in my tank the other night and again the next morning and now my green mandarin seems to be breathing extremly heavy. Any ideas? I figure he was stressed but its been four days and still like this.

I did test it and all was fine except nitrates at 40 but was told that was okay. You think if it's just the substrate he will straighten up?

40 is by no means ok. Even FOWLR tanks should be much lower. You need to find the source of the trates and kill it. Or if your overstocked, look into vodka dosing of you have a good skimmer or do frequent large water changes.

jones1483 said:
I did test it and all was fine except nitrates at 40 but was told that was okay. You think if it's just the substrate he will straighten up?

Yes but it will probably take a few large water changes. Your trates indicate you are due for a big one anyway. If you're not getting an ammonia reading, then that can be ruled out. Maybe a filter cleaning is in order to see if that's your trate source.

If you don't stur up your sand very often, pockets of nitrate will form in it and release when the sand is finally moved.

Tell me how I would vodka dose to rid of nitrates I have fish snails crabs and shrimp in my tank. Tested my tap water and nitrates were zero. I use a emperor 400 filter

The filter changing confuses me. I just cleaned them Saturday but have never replaced cause I read that bacteria lived there and I would lose it. I am new and need all the help I can get.

When I change media I change it one piece at a time. Never all at once. If I start seeing lots of nitrate I will space my media changes about a week to two weeks apart. Keep an eye on parameters during this time.

Back
Top Bottom