Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2003, 03:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

All clowns are born male, Then when they are in a group or paired if this is the case then the largest one will be the female and the second largest will be the breeding male while the others will remain small. Then if they are laying eggs then they will lay them on the underside of the mushroom or some where in the close vacinity.
Some other things to check are:
-swiming ability, (ie. sideways or disoriented, etc) (clowns dont have good swimming abilities in the first place but)
-feeding, are they eating and taking to the food normally
-color, general fading or darkening of color
I dont think temp is the major factor here becuase it would usually affect more than just one fish. These are just some ideas that I hope will help or open up more ideas from others.

Old 06-28-2003, 12:20 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's an update.

She hasn't eaten much, if at all in the past 2 days. We did a 4 minute fresh water dip earlier today. We made sure the water temp was almost exactly the same as in the tank (the tank was 82.5, the dip was 82.8). She seemed to be OK after the dip. We did notice last night & tonight that she seems more active when the lights go out.

As for condition, she seems to have a a few very small white spots. Compared to the other clown, her color is slightly darker & almost has a sheen to her skin. She doesn't exhibit any flashing or rubbing up against the rocks or anything. Her only behavior is not eating, hiding & heavy breathing. Also as noted above, she seems more active when the lights are out at night.

If we have to quarantine her, I have a tank ready..matching temp & near matching salinity (main tank is 1.023, q tank is 1.021).

I hope someone has some ideas as to what might be going on.
Thanks ahead of time!

John

Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 12:21 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, hope everything turns out ok for you.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:37 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
If we have to quarantine her, I have a tank ready..matching temp & near matching salinity (main tank is 1.023, q tank is 1.021).

IMO, quarantine is the way to go at this point, although I do have some reservations. In the quarantine, I would make sure the temp is stable at 82-84 and treat with copper sulfate at a level of .15 to .20 ppm for 3 weeks. If possible, I'd also like to see a picture of this fish, as close as possible prefferably at an oblique angle, not quite head on, but not a full side shot either.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 06:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, we left her in the tank after fresh water dipping her, she seemed when we dipped her to be more active, then we put her back in, still saw some white flecks on her. Wanted to get the quarantine tank up to temp and water ok and planned on putting her in there this morning.

When I woke up, she was swimming around and when the daylight light came on, she was acting normal, no heavy breathing, no little white specs, she was normal and when I aproached the tank, her and the male both when up to the top waiting to be fed, and she ate! I am so glad, I was really afraid we'd lose her or it would be something to make us have to strip down the whole tank. We took a test on the PH again this morning, it was back to 8.2. We are wondering if this all had to do with the live brine we got from our LFS, guess we should have known better, his water for his fish isn't all that great, I wouldn't buy fish from him, but his corals aren't bad.

thank you so much for all your help and concern, I'm knocking on wood that this is over, and I'm sticking to what we normally feed them.

-Kaurene
Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 06:47 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, please keep us updated as to how she's doing.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breathing, clown, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com