Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2003, 01:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Heavy breathing Clown

I noticed last night one of our clowns the one that hosts the Giant cup mushroom has been hanging out constantly in the mushroom and breathing heavy. This clown is a little bigger than the other, not sure if it will be the female or not, but it won't stray far from the mushroom. There are no signs of white spots or anything abnormal on the fish, just the heavy breathing. No flashing or rubbing or anything.

We took a reading last night:

Salt: 1.023
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2.5

Only thing that has changed is the PH it has gone from 8.2 to 8.4
could this be it?

Any suggestions? I don't want to lose this fish, but I don't want to stress it out either trying to catch it in a reef tank.

Thanks.

Old 06-25-2003, 04:30 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

How heavy is the breathing? Is it irregular or constant? There isn't much to go on, with the only sign being heavybreathing.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 07:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's constant, kind of like it's been jogging and is out of breath, I just got home and the tank is up to 84, it's a warm day, I've got the house dark and the hood proped up and have the actnic light on and turned off the day just until it cools down a little also turned on the air, boy the edison bill is going to be high this next month.

She (I think) didn't eat this morning, and she sits on the giant cup and looks like she's paddling up stream. The other clown stays near by but no heavy breathing. Am I just over reacting?
Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:03 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Does she look fatter? The heavy breathing is troublesome, but...it could be that she is getting ready to lay eggs.

Old 06-25-2003, 08:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow, well not really, she looks the same, but here's a thought, if she lays eggs, would she lay them in the giant cup? That could be a problem, or a delicious meal for the giant cup.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:03 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
would she lay them in the giant cup?
More than likely she would lay them on the rock the cup is on or one close by. I am not familiar enough with clown mating to say that that is what it is, it could very well be a parasite, you indicated temp swings....but egg laying is one possibility. I don't want to get your hopes up and then the clown turn out to be sick. There really is just not enough to go on.

Old 06-26-2003, 01:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
I don't know too much, but could it be temperature too high?
Old 06-26-2003, 03:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've got the temp still at 82, keeping the house real cool today. She isn't breathing as heavy as yesterday but now she is hiding around the toadstool which is right above the giant cup and now the smaller clown which I think may end up being the male is staying close to her but occasionally hangs out in the giant cup.

I can't afford a chiller, could I put a small frozen ziplock thing in my fuge and have it cool things down if you feel that 82 is too high?
Old 06-26-2003, 03:44 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
could I put a small frozen ziplock thing in my fuge and have it cool things down if you feel that 82 is too high?
82 is what my reef stays at in the summer time, between 80 and 82 the rest of the year. If you can maintain 82, you won't have any problems. If it starts to go higher, you will want to consider something like the fans. There is also a post in the FW forum that deals with this same problem. The problem I see with putting a bag of ice in the fuge, is the temp in the fuge would drop considerably and kill whatever you got going in there.

Old 06-26-2003, 03:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok cool, we've got 2 computer fans mounted in there now, but it's staying at 82 with the hood cracked up so I think I'll stay with that and forget the ice.

Thanks Kevin!

Tags
breathing, clown, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com