Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2004, 01:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Heavy Breathing, Lethargy, and Lack of Appetite in my Clown

As some of you may know - I was posting a thread over in the general discussion about my clown not eating. He is a tank raised percula, and has been in the QT for 10 days now. The second day I had him he ate maybe one bloodworm, and hasn't touched anything since. I have tried everything. He has been swimming around less in the past couple days. Today, however, he is in one of the pvc fittings sitting on the bottom and breathing heavily. I checked the water parameters and the pH was low (below 8.0) so I performed a 20% water change and here are the new readings:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: <10
Nitrites: 0
pH: 8.1
temp: 79.5
SG: 1.026

I have been looking him over closely to see if I noticed any signs of parasites. But, other than his color not be as bright, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. What could this all mean??

In its great blue whales, hunted even to
between houses, an entire people was
dreaming of a less silent light.
BlueDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had the exact same prob. Never figured it out, one clown just fine the other died for no reason (none that I found anyway).

Old 07-20-2004, 02:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh no... that doesn't ease my mind...

Old 07-20-2004, 04:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Well Marine Velvet can be stealth as far as marks or spots. If often attacks the gills before you know its there. I lost 3 fish within 24 hours months ago before I know what it was. Or it may be brookynella (sp).
Is he flashing (scratching) or rubbing his gills? Sitting on the bottow gilling rapidly is not s good sign. You may want to consider starting treatment. Do you have or can you get formalin? You may want to start out with a SW formalin bath and see if that gives him any relief.
Or possibly start a copper treatment.
Anyone else?
Old 07-20-2004, 05:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I went to the LFS today and they were not sure what to do either. They did possibly think that it could be an internal parasite. My clown is not flashing or rubbing his gills. He just sits at the bottom gilling. What do you think about treatment for internal parasites?

Old 07-20-2004, 06:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maracyn or Maracyn2, one of them is good for internal parasites. Couldn't hurt.
I know how you feel, troubleshooting illness in this hobby can be taxing.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:22 PM   #7
steve-s

Maracyn is not the best for internal bacterial problems (Nitrofurazone is usually better) especially when the fish won't eat and will not be effective if it turns out to be an internal parasite. If that's all you can get though, so be it.

If the antibiotics do not show improvement, I would move toward treating a parasite instead and start with Metronidazole. If you can't find that then either Pipzine or Hex-a-mit. The biggest problem is knowing what your treating.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-20-2004, 08:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the correction Steve. I read that maracyn 2 (on their box) is good for internals, but maybe its not as good.
Do you see any redness around the gills? I still suspect a parasite.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, guys! I was originally searching for Metronidazole at the pet store today, but I couldn't find it. The closest I could find was a small bottle of "Internal Parasite Guard" made by a company called Jungle. It's a green powder that you add one teaspoon per 5 gallons. Has anyone heard of it? Should it be ok? I added two teaspoons earlier today (my QT is 10 gallons). So it says that treatments should be done every other day with 25% water changes in between. But, you should only do up to 3 treatments max?? I hope my clown can hang in there, and I hope the treatment helps...

Old 07-20-2004, 10:19 PM   #10
steve-s

Unfortunately Junglelabs doesn't list any info about their products. I do recall a member using it before but that was called Ick Guard and contained victoria green, nitromersol and acriflavine. None of which will help much with an internal parasite AFAIK.

Can you list any ingredients from the bottle?

Cheers
Steve

Tags
appetite, breathing, clown, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com