Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2006, 10:48 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
One of the problems I have with doing water changes is not trusting the city water, getting 10 gallons of water every couple weeks to use in the change was a big hassle
an ro/di unit would solve your problems then for sure.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Cool, keep us posted! I also ordered the Iodidine/dide test kit. So we might be able to compare notes.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

OK, decided to try some things over the past few months and here is what I have done/seen.

The only thing I changed at first was to start performing 10-20% water changes once per week. I still simply used water out of the tap, bought a few crabs...they were dead within a week.

I then started to used filtered water along with performing the water changes. I performed a 25% change each week for 3 weeks and then bought more crabs continuing with filtered water changes at a rate of 10-20% each week...crabs lived.

Hypothesis at this point is the filtered water is he main problem.

The crabs have now been alive for about 3 months, that is a record for me with crabs. I perform water changes about 3 times per month now and still add calcium and iodine, still do not test for them.

I did place an order today for some test kits, more crabs/shrimp and even some live rock for them to hide in since I now also own a puffer.

Bottom line, I think it had more to do with the heavy metals in my water than it did with performing water changes and I also think performing the water changes is helping me to keep the right levels of iodine etc (Other things that I was not adding) in the water for them.

So, had to remember this sites URL so I could come give an update...perhaps I need to drop in more often.

Is there such a thing as too much live rock? I ordered another 45lbs today and think that will bring the total up to around 145lbs for a total approximate 100 gallon system. I have rock in both the main and sump now totaling about 100lbs.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to surjer Send a message via Yahoo to surjer
I have been told 1.5 - 2.0 lbs of LR per gallon is whats recomended so you are good to go with 145lbs I would assume....
Old 04-28-2007, 04:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

It should add some hiding places for shrimp and crabs...now that they live in the tank.

I assume the heavy metals in unfiltered or "City" water are what killed them, but will continue with the water changes on the possibility some trace elements were missing as well...but the change in process that occurred just prior to them living for extended time was the change from using city water to filtered water.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:04 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have been told that there is over 89 different salts or trace elements in marine salt mixes. As Lisa stated long ago these are not tested for because they are in such small amounts but are very needed. That is my reason for PWC`s as well as lowering excessive nutrients. I`m glad your crabs are doing better.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, and that is why I will continue with them...did one today, changed out 25 Gallon.

I do not mind admitting when I am wrong, something either in the salt or that was in the non-RO water damaged the crabs/shrimp and nothing else in the tank. Now they live, so better to keep it up.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
It wasn't brought up (and I'm kind of shocked) but how were you acclimating your crabs, which species of crabs where they, & what was the time period before death?

I have to agree on the whole ro/di filter and frequent small pwc myself since I've always had good success using both practices and am glad your crabs are doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtsReef
I perform water changes about 3 times per month now and still add calcium and iodine, still do not test for them.
Extremely risky adding without testing of either of these!!! Excess ca will mostly hurt your corals and the pwc should keep it at 400 ppm or at the very most only need very minor dosing. It can also play havoc with your ph/alk levels.

Read Chemistry and the Aquarium: Calcium & Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems

Excessive iodine is toxic to your stock and in particular will most harm your crabs you are striving so hard to keep alive. Read this article for more info.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have always been pretty careful with aclimation. The bags will generally float anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2 hours before I open them and begin to let a bit of water in every so often until the bag is full then releasing them. Prior to the past couple months where there have been no (Or very few, don't have a way of actually counting every little crab) deaths the crabs would live for a week or so before perishing, some up to a month. Crab species attempted were many...

I think the longest living back then were the emerald crabs, which I can remember one living until he molted twice before perishing whcih I think was about 2 months. He was the one exception. Have had pom pom, scarlet, red and blue leg, arrow, and several kinds of shrimp.

I should have added that I plan on testing, in fact the ph/alk and ca tests are on my front door step right now along with several others. They were ordered at the same time as some live rock. I was not planning on never testing.

Thanks for the link, will read up. I thought the ca was suppposed to be above 450 or above for optimal coral growth. The amounts of additional contents that have been going in were minor, but better safe than sorry.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Floating up to 1/2-2 hours gets the temperature correct but how long did you add water to the bags before turning them loose? Ever try the drip method? Inverts are very susceptible to rapid changes in ph/sg and dieing within a week or so often is the result of osmotic shock.

Mixing various species of crabs in a 75 gal is pretty tight living quarters, could the other crabs have taken advantage of another after a molt when it's most vulnerable?

NSW (Natural Sea Water) CA level is 410-420 ppm and increasing slightly to 450 ppm at most will help some corals thrive but really as long as it's between 360-450 ppm you're doing fine. At 450+ it isn't helpful and is a waste of ca additive which will typically precipitate anyways.

Checkout Reef Aquarium Water Parameters.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crab, crabs, die

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com