Hellp asap!!! Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWFanAtiC69

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Niger is acting very funny, I thought he had ich, but its not the typical white spot. So ive been turning off the lights in the tank and using a flashlight which is really helpful on seeing him closely. And the best way i can describe it is it looks like his skin is "flaking" and or "peeling"? I have not a clue what this is? He has rubbed against the rocks a few times and stop and darted across the tank a few times. But i cant put my dang finger on what it is, and really needs someones help. Ive looked all over the net and cant find squat. I obv know to put him in a QT but my question is really what it is? and also had my picasso in the qt, and was combining copper and nox-ich and the blue die from the nox stained the picasso blue a bit!!!! lol will this eventually come off? Really need a good quick response about the niger if some1 can if they know what im talking about! gotta go to work soon and its going to bug me if i have to keep thinking about it with no answers!! Please Guys and god bless

How about some water test results so we can rule that out. Also a PWC might help.

Sounds like you need to do some water tests as Melosu said...I'm guessing you have ammonia present in the tank.....

My Niger will sometimes swim along the back of the tank or along rocks and slap his body into them. In turn, he ends up having some marks afterwards but they go away. I'm not sure if yours is doing the same thing but thats what mine does. Can you post a pic of the markings?

yea i will, tested the water today everything is right on, but the ammonia was at like .50

Is there just one white dot...or spot? Is it more like a bruise, sort of a faded white? Or does it bulge out like a bubble?

Its not spots at least from what i can tell, not bubbles, flakes almost like little flakes and scratch looking tiny streaks covering most of both sides.

its too hard for me to get a pic, cause hes just staying in the back now like a lil punk, man this is my fav fish i really hope i dont lose him. i did have ich in the tank cause im quarentining my yellow tang and coral beauty right now. So thas why i initially thought it WAS ich and maybe thinking it just looks diff on him or something. But it doesnt look like ich. And you cant really see it as much now it looks like only when he turns a certain way that you can see the marks??

Any ammount of ammonia in the tank is a bad sign. How long has your tank been set up? Has something died in the tank that you didn't notice? Ammonia is the possible cause for the issue.

I know what you mean. Mine is my favorite fish in the tank as well. I hope it isnt anything serious. Let's hope they are just scuff or scratch marks. Like i said, mine does things to get those. Good luck getting the pic. Mine will be out and in my face at the glass but the second I put a camera up, he darts to his little hole in the rock head first and leaves his tail sticking straight up in the air till I put the camera down.

well he was just lying on the ground with rapid breathing not a good sign so im putting him back in the QT for today with the copper and Malachite. Hes not eating either anymore.... :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Definitly not what I said it could be. Keep him in the qt untill we can figure out what it is. Can you get a pic of him in the QT tank?

I got to go to work right now at my Fish store, um tonight when i get home which will be around 10pm and ill get one thanks alot you guys. Its good to have ppl on ur side. Pray for my lil guy..

triggers are tough lil cookies, so im hoping he'll pull through

You have a niger that has flaking skin, but I didn't notice you mentioning whether it was previously quarantined and if so, with the current medications of copper and malachite? Good for you in quarantining; however, you are mixing two highly lethal medications. One important rule in quarantine is not to mix medications (exceptions are formalin/malachite). Dare I ask at what dosages of each? What kind of copper? Do you know what or even why you are treating with such harsh medications in the first place let alone mixing the two? I am surpised you do not have swimming skeletans at this point.

I agree with James. The point here is that your ammonia reading was the problem. Any level of ammonia is lethal. PWC`s are needed immediately.

did the water changes ammonia is gone right now. Right now my quarentine tank has CopperSafe and thats it, I removed all water and restarted MY QT tank. Trigger died though like an hour later :( it ended up being velvet

Im heart broken he was such a good fish, he never bothered no1 he didnt deserve this...:(

Sorry about your loss SW. Its always terrible when losing a fish. Especially such a personable one. Are you going to get another down the road?

yea i got a lot i need to do right now, with re-establishing the tank, im running it fishless for about a month. I still have 2 other fowlr tanks, and 1 Reef running right now as well that need my attention. Plus he in my mind is not replaceable so its gonna take me a lil to get over him. :( I really appreciate your concern. I did however get a new fish today. I got a 90 gallon FOWLR and i bought a pink tail trigger!! Hes a Beautiful (Hawaiian) specimen. Which are a lot prettier than the red sea specimens. These are DEF my second favorite fish. I love my triggers. But hes doing great hes a pig, i got him quarentining right now for a week before i drop him in the show tank though. I need to get some pics up iv been slacking. lol.:)

No offense, but what's the point of qt if it is just for a week? 1 month minimum or it's a waste of time. In that amount of time you can hyposalinity and deworm.

Back
Top Bottom