Help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Global

Aquarium Advice Newbie
G'day everone,
I'm new to the site! But have big probs in one of my tanks.
I have a port jackson shark and a pink snapper in the tank and have
descovered my pinkie has a bad case of pop eye in both eyes!
I have been treating the tank with phos-zorb satchels,
mala-fix and water changes for the last 5 days with no change!
He is eating a little bit, but not much!
What else can I do????

Cheers Global.

It would help to know the following; water chemistry: NH3, NO2, NO3, pH, Salinity, Temperature, etc. along with size of aquarium, filtration, and decor (liverock, substrate, etc). Pop-eye usually stems from poor water conditions in addition to abrasion thus causing a bacterial infection. Not to say you don't keep optimal water conditions, but as I said the 'usual.' I personally do not like Melafix as it is far to weak compared to other solutions. Depending on the size of the snapper, you could remove it to a QT and treat or if too large to remove, feeding an oral medication (Enrofloxacin/Baytril).

I agree with James that most times less than optimal water parameters is usually the cause. If you could answer his questions it would go a long way in helping us. I dont know, I`m so/so about melafix. In bigger fish like you are talking about I dont think it will work either but on smaller fish I have seen some good. On your fish I would do as James said. He`s pretty good at that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom