Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2003, 04:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

well did the water change around 11, its almost 4 now and the water looks slightly less cloudy but the fish are still breathing fast. There arent as much bubbles on the surface any more however.

Old 12-14-2003, 01:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Update as of this morning: the waters still cloudy and now another blue devil is hanging towards the bottom, doesnt look good still some bubbles on surface too.
It puzzles me too because i would think the flame angel would be more susceptible to anything in the tank but he seems to be fairing best.

Any suggestions???

Old 12-14-2003, 01:42 PM   #13
steve-s

You have yet to answer the question asked.... It's very difficult to suggest anything with limited info

ph?
alk/Ca?
ammonia?
nitrite?
nitrate?

If the skimmer is removing a decent amount of thick skimmate, the problem should reduce in time. That combined with the water changes and use of carbon will also speed things up. If available a polyfilter from BioMarine would be an even greater advantage...

You will need to keep doing small water changes daily until this subsides. The key here is to dilute/export whatever is polluting the water. Posting the actual numbers for the water specs requested may yield some possitive answers to aid in solving your problem...

Also, do you have any caulerpa in the system?

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-14-2003, 11:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok heres the numbers:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20ppm
Hardness:300ppm (I know this is very hard but dont know how to lower it or how it impacts the fish)
Alkalinity: 180 ppm
PH: 8.2-8.4

Now i tried to turn off the air pump that goes to the two airstones in the tank, and all the bubbles went away from the surface in a few minutes. So its almost as if theres something in the water thats keeping the bubbles together on the surface like surface tension. I'm not sure if the water change would do that or if the water is contaminated some how. Tomorrow im gonna put more activated carbon and do another water change. hopefully ill beat this thing.

A question on the skimmer, shouldnt the cup not be filling up with water, it fills up with water almost 3/4 of the way and then foam spills out of the top hole and back into the tank, im not sure how to fix this.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:50 AM   #15
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve
Hardness:300ppm (I know this is very hard but dont know how to lower it or how it impacts the fish)
Hardness is unimportant. The alkalinity and ph are but both seem just fine as well as the other results.

Quote:
Now i tried to turn off the air pump that goes to the two airstones in the tank, and all the bubbles went away from the surface in a few minutes. So its almost as if theres something in the water thats keeping the bubbles together on the surface like surface tension. I'm not sure if the water change would do that or if the water is contaminated some how. Tomorrow im gonna put more activated carbon and do another water change. hopefully ill beat this thing
Water changes and fresh carbon will help but you also need to aggitate the water surface so the film can be removed bty the skimmer. Place a PH at the surface so it provides a brisk ripple affect. The airstones will do little to help.

Quote:
A question on the skimmer, shouldnt the cup not be filling up with water, it fills up with water almost 3/4 of the way and then foam spills out of the top hole and back into the tank, im not sure how to fix this.
It may just need more time since it is new or the water flow/air needs tweeking. Generally it will either be that or from a foreign element in the water. Additives that contain aloe will cause this as well.

There have been no additions or dosing? What about the caulerpa?
Any aerosols or other cleaning chems used recently in the vacinity of the tank?

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-15-2003, 02:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

not sure what caulerpa is so im assuming i dont have it??
I have alot of brown hairy algae, but i scraped it off and sucked mos tof it ou during a water change, the water smells pretty bad and the flame angels tail is withering again, but now this should be my third water 20% water change since last weekend i wouldnt think the water would still be dirty after all of that.

no chemicals used by the tank that i know of, i used a vinegar water mixture to clean the glass cover last weekend but made sure to rinse them very well with warm water for a few minutse before drying and replacing.
another blue devil died and now the rest of the fish are hanging towards the bottom.
argh whats goin on
Old 12-15-2003, 05:53 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
not sure what caulerpa is so im assuming i dont have it??
Probabley not then but for future reference it is a marine macro algae.

Quote:
I have alot of brown hairy algae, but i scraped it off and sucked mos tof it ou during a water change, the water smells pretty bad and the flame angels tail is withering again, but now this should be my third water 20% water change since last weekend i wouldnt think the water would still be dirty after all of that.
The smell would definately be another indication that either something has died (possibley fauna) or there is an abundance of uneaten foods/detritus creating the odor. Does it smell "earthy" or like something rotting? Have you added any new rock recently?

Quote:
no chemicals used by the tank that i know of, i used a vinegar water mixture to clean the glass cover last weekend but made sure to rinse them very well with warm water for a few minutse before drying and replacing.
another blue devil died and now the rest of the fish are hanging towards the bottom.
I am assuming you have the proper surface aggitation as stated in my previous post but I think a majority of the problem may be stemming from the glass lid. They can cause very large problems with proper gas exchange trapping CO2 and reek havock with the ph especially after lights out. I would suggest you remove the lid and replace it with something much more permiable like eggcrate material or something similar that will allow free airflow....

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-15-2003, 10:27 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

is it possible theres something wrong with the tap water im adding in? im just tryin to throw out any possible ideas i can think of, i mean the bubbles on the surface and cloudiness started this past wednesday, and i had done the water change the saturday before that so i would think it would show up before that if it was gonna.
am i correct in thinking this?

if its something bacterial is there something i can put in the food or main tank that wont destroy the good bacteria base in the filter.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:53 PM   #19
steve-s

Quote:
is it possible theres something wrong with the tap water im adding in? im just tryin to throw out any possible ideas i can think of,
It is always a possibility. Tap water is an unknown and what might be safe for us, could be extremely harmful to a SW tank. Fluorines, copper, chloramines and so on. It would astound you. Do you use anything to treat the water? I tried to find a waater quality report for your area with a break down analisys but no luck.

Quote:
i mean the bubbles on the surface and cloudiness started this past wednesday, and i had done the water change the saturday before that so i would think it would show up before that if it was gonna.
am i correct in thinking this?
It is possible there was a reaction but I would think it should be evident much faster than 5 days...

Quote:
if its something bacterial is there something i can put in the food or main tank that wont destroy the good bacteria base in the filter.
No, you will just have to ride it out. Water changes and carbon are still the best bet. I would also suggest the use of a polyfilter. It can be much better at removing chemical impurities than carbon.

Anything else comes to mind, post it. You never know....

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-15-2003, 11:38 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

i put a polyfilter in the tank as well as the new carbon.
i use a dechlorinator/dechlormaine chemical ( just a normal one nothin big, ive always used it since the beginning though), so you think just keep on doin water changes every day(still like 10-15% changes?)

have you ever had a big problem hit your tank?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com